Technology Support Specialist
office of residential life
Basic Function and Responsibility
Provide assistance and support to the Assistant Director for Residential Life, Operations and Summer Housing. Directly responsible for the coordination of all departmental information technology, access, and communication systems. Serve as department Network Manager. Responsible for the development and management of all departmental web services and information systems. Assist in the analysis, development, and restructuring of business processes as needed. Maintain over 40 computer systems, data storage, and over 50 databases. Other duties as assigned per Assistant Director of Residential Life for Operations and Summer Housing, Associate Director(s), and/or Director.
Primary Areas of Responsibility
- Responsible for coordinating general technical support and training to all Residential Life staff located both centrally and in satellite offices campus-wide
- Under the direction of the Assistant Director of Residential Life, Operations and Summer Housing, and in collaboration with Information Technology Services, responsible for the implementation of an enterprise housing system
- Responsible for the prioritization and development process associated with the conversion of current and potential databases into an Oracle Application Express environment
- Responsible for managing all shared computers, email accounts, and server space
- Implement all new University and ITS initiatives for the department
- Make recommendations for the purpose of ITS initiatives and projects
- In collaboration with Information Technology Services, research, recommend, and purchase technology equipment for the department
- Responsible for inventory and maintenance of all hardware and software
Marketing and Communications
- Maintain and develop Residential Life internal and external web sites
- Coordinate the usage of the Residential Life online calendar
- Continually assess and develop a standard image to be used in all communications with the Boston College community
- Review, coordinate and update all marketing communications, including but not limited to mass emails, newsletters, flyers, brochures, websites, surveys, and videos
- Responsible for providing Residential Life staff and students with up-to-date information related to the use of the cellphone, radios, PDAs, voice, video, and data services
- Manage and maintain room access for all resident students, including all student transactions resulting from placement changes, combination/lock changes, lockouts, etc.
- Assist with resolution of card access issues when necessary
- Coordinate inventory of all residence hall and administrative keys and access cards
- Manage charges and credits to student accounts for keys/combinations
- Assist in all student billing processes, including the production of quarterly forecasts
- Coordinate all combination/lock changes and servicing with the University Lock Shop
- Prepare all materials and keys needed for opening and closing periods
- Manage access issues during opening and closing weekends (required weekend work)
Direct supervision is received from the Assistant Director of Residential Life, Operations and Summer Housing.
Direct supervision is exercised over two to five Work-Study students.
Bachelor's degree required. Strong technology skills, including knowledge of relational databases, Oracle Application Express, FileMaker Pro, Macromedia, Dreamweaver MX Suite, Adobe Multimedia Software (Acrobat Pro, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator), basic web/programming technologies (C, Java, HTML, CDML, CGI, CSS, ASP, SQL, XML, etc.), file/web server administration. Experience providing first-tier desktop support for users in a Windows XP environment using Microsoft Office products. Must demonstrate accuracy to detail, confidentially, initiative, and organization.