Become A Group Fitness Instructor
NEXT COURSE OFFERED: SPRING 2019
Spring 2019 prep course details will be available starting July 1, 2018. All interested participants should email email@example.com and you will be notified when the course syllabus and application becomes available.
Are you interested in becoming a group fitness instructor? All new instructors (with less than two years of regular teaching experience, certifications, and acceptable references), must apply for a spot in the Boston College Campus Recreation Group Fitness Instructor Prep Course. Space is limited. If accepted, trainees must successfully complete all requirements before becoming a staff member for Boston College Campus Recreation. Employment is not guaranteed.
Please note: This program is not for all traditional yoga or Pilates instructors. A 200-hour yoga certification is required to become a yoga instructor. Certain modules and many hours of study are required to become a Pilates instructor. However, if you want to become a Fitlates instructor, then this course plus one approved certification is required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about Pilates and yoga instruction.
Class Quick Facts
- This course will not be offered summer 2018
- This course will be offered in spring 2019.
- This course is only open to Boston College undergraduate and graduate students who are members of the Flynn Recreation Complex. Preference is given to undergraduate freshmen, sophomores and juniors since it used as an employment tool.
- This course is MANDATORY for all new group fitness instructors (exceptions mentioned above) in order to apply for an instructor position with Boston College Campus Recreation.
How to Apply
- Attend an information session. This is the best way to learn about requirements to become a BC Rec group fitness instructor. There is no need to reserve a spot in one of the sessions. Information sessions will be held fall 2017. Attending an information session is mandatory in order to sign up for the audition.
- Attend an audition and meet and greet. You’ll register for the audition and meet and greet at one of the info sessions. Following the auditions, a decision email will be sent to each applicant. Registration information will be provided if accepted.
Program Start Date: January 2019
Program End Date: May 2019
Program Cost: $100
The appropriate certification(s) depends upon the background of the individual and the class format(s) to be taught. This will be discussed individually with each student accepted into the course. Certifications generally cost between $220-$600 depending upon the format.