Become A Group Fitness Instructor
NEXT COURSE OFFERED: SPRING 2018
Are you interested in becoming a group fitness instructor? All new instructors (with less than two years of regular teaching experience, certifications, and acceptable references), must apply for a spot in the Boston College Campus Recreation Group Fitness Instructor Prep Course. Space is limited. If accepted, trainees must successfully complete all requirements before becoming a staff member for Boston College Campus Recreation. Employment is not guaranteed.
Please note: This program is not for all traditional yoga or Pilates instructors. A 200-hour yoga certification is required to become a yoga instructor. Certain modules and many hours of study are required to become a Pilates instructor. However, if you want to become a Fitlates instructor, then this course plus one approved certification is required. Please contact Group Fitness Coordinator Jeannette Romeo at Jeannette.Romeo@bc.edu if you have any questions about yoga or Pilates instruction.
Class Quick Facts
- This course will not be offered in summer 2017 or fall 2017.
- This course will be offered in spring 2018.
- This course is only open to Boston College undergraduate and graduate students who are members of the Flynn Recreation Complex. Preference is given to undergraduate freshmen, sophomores and juniors since it used as an employment tool.
- This course is MANDATORY for all new group fitness instructors (exceptions mentioned above) in order to apply for an instructor position with Boston College Campus Recreation.
How to Apply
- Attend an information session. This is the best way to learn about requirements to become a BC Rec group fitness instructor. There is no need to reserve a spot in one of the sessions. Information sessions will be held fall 2017. Attending an information session is mandatory in order to sign up for the audition.
- Attend an audition and meet and greet. You’ll register for the audition and meet and greet at one of the info sessions. Following the auditions, a decision email will be sent to each applicant. Registration information will be provided if accepted.
- Monday, October 30 from 4pm-4:30pm, Flynn Recreation Complex - MPR-D
- Monday, November 6 from 3:30pm-4pm, Flynn Recreation Complex - MPR-D
- Friday, November 10 from 3:30pm-4pm, Flynn Recreation Complex - MPR-D
- Saturday, December 2 from 9:15am-11am, Flynn Recreation Complex
Program Start Date: January 2018
Program End Date: May 2018
Program Cost: $100
The appropriate certification(s) depends upon the background of the individual and the class format(s) to be taught. This will be discussed individually with each student accepted into the course. Certifications generally cost between $220-$600 depending upon the format.