The purpose of the Intramural Sports program at Boston College is to provide exercise, recreation, and fun to our participants in a relaxed, yet structured environment. Intramural Sports enhance the academic experience by promoting and reinforcing leadership qualities, teamwork, personal accomplishment, mutual respect, integrity, competition and recreation, as well as skill and exercise. Everyone is encouraged to play to the best of their abilities; however, a win-at-all-cost attitude is inappropriate and strongly discouraged. The genuine value of Intramural Sports comes from the recreation and camaraderie experienced with the other participants and staff of the program.
- Fun: At the core of the Intramural Program, there is a desire to provide participants with enjoyable programming in a positive, inviting environment.
- Honesty: In order to maintain high standards throughout the Intramural Program, we strive to uphold a culture of integrity, trust, fairness, responsibility, and accountability.
- Respect: Sportsmanship is a focal point of the Intramural Program; treating others with respect is not up for debate. Remember, in the end, we are all Eagles.
- Professionalism: The Intramural Program strives for a level of professionalism that will foster growth in our student employees and that will give participants a program to be proud of.
- Passion: Individuals participating in intramurals, whether a player or an official, should approach their role with positive energy and enthusiasm.
- Community: The Intramural Program hopes to promote lasting relationships and camaraderie at Boston College.
Goals of the Intramural Sports Program
Last year we hit 4 of our 5 goals! Check out our 2013-2014 goal review here. Here are the goals for the 2014-2015 campaign:
- Incorporate Technology: Use the Intramural Facebook and YouTube pages to create more interaction with participants and offer students more ways to connect with our program.
- Post Power Rankings: This year we will offer weekly Power Rankings for each sport that are written in a lighthearted manner. These will be posted on our Facebook page and in the display cases in the basketball wing.
- Add Championship Statistics: For each sport, we will have stat keepers and announcers to create an enhanced championship experience for the participants, and our very best officials available will be officiating the game.
- Hold the 2nd Annual Intramural Beanpot: Last year BC fell to BU in the inaugural Ice Hockey Intramural Beanpot . We are hoping to build on that with the long term goal of expanding this offering to other sports like softball, volleyball, and soccer in 2015-2016.
- Reduce Forfeits: We got forfeits under 10% last year, but the goal is to reduce them even more this year!
Priorities of the Intramural Program
- To provide a wide range of individual and team sports at varying levels of competitiveness for students, faculty and staff at Boston College.
- To provide opportunities for social interaction and the development of lasting friendships.
- To teach the value of sportsmanship, the principles of fair play, and a positive attitude.
- To develop habits of participation in physical activity that can carry over into everyday living.
- To provide leadership opportunities through participation.
- To provide employment opportunities and educational experiences for students.