The purpose of the Intramural Sports program at Boston College is to provide exercise, recreation, and fun to our participants in a relaxed, yet structured environment. Intramural Sports enhance the academic experience by promoting and reinforcing leadership qualities, teamwork, personal accomplishment, mutual respect, integrity, competition and recreation, as well as skill and exercise. Everyone is encouraged to play to the best of their abilities; however, a win-at-all-cost attitude is inappropriate and strongly discouraged. The genuine value of Intramural Sports comes from the recreation and camaraderie experienced with the other participants and staff of the program.
- Fun: At the core of the Intramural Program, there is a desire to provide participants with enjoyable programming in a positive, inviting environment.
- Honesty: In order to maintain high standards throughout the Intramural Program, we strive to uphold a culture of integrity, trust, fairness, responsibility, and accountability.
- Respect: Sportsmanship is a focal point of the Intramural Program; treating others with respect is not up for debate. Remember, in the end, we are all Eagles.
- Professionalism: The Intramural Program strives for a level of professionalism that will foster growth in our student employees and that will give participants a program to be proud of.
- Passion: Individuals participating in intramurals, whether a player or an official, should approach their role with positive energy and enthusiasm.
- Community: The Intramural Program hopes to promote lasting relationships and camaraderie at Boston College.
Goals of the Intramural Sports Program
Here are the goals for the 2016-2017 campaign:
- Team of the Week/Month: Recognize one team per week/month for their exemplary play and high level of sportsmanship. We will post a picture of the team and do a brief write-up.
- Create the first ever Intramural Sport Council: Implement the voice of participants into the program in a joint effort with Intramural Sport Staff and Intramural Sport Administrators. The goal of the council would be to further the program and make the program a collaborative effort.
- Continue with All-Star Games and add League Awards into the mix: Recognize a few individuals in each major sport (at the highest competition level) for awards such as Most Valuable Player.
Priorities of the Intramural Program
- To provide a wide range of individual and team sports at varying levels of competitiveness for students, faculty and staff at Boston College.
- To provide opportunities for social interaction and the development of lasting friendships.
- To teach the value of sportsmanship, the principles of fair play, and a positive attitude.
- To develop habits of participation in physical activity that can carry over into everyday living.
- To provide leadership opportunities through participation.
- To provide employment opportunities and educational experiences for students.