The purpose of the Intramural Sports program at Boston College is to provide exercise, recreation, and fun to our participants in a relaxed, yet structured environment. Intramural Sports enhance the academic experience by promoting and reinforcing leadership qualities, teamwork, personal accomplishment, mutual respect, integrity, competition and recreation, as well as skill and exercise. Everyone is encouraged to play to the best of their abilities; however, a win-at-all-cost attitude is inappropriate and strongly discouraged. The genuine value of Intramural Sports comes from the recreation and camaraderie experienced with the other participants and staff of the program.
- Fun: At the core of the Intramural Program, there is a desire to provide participants with enjoyable programming in a positive, inviting environment.
- Honesty: In order to maintain high standards throughout the Intramural Program, we strive to uphold a culture of integrity, trust, fairness, responsibility, and accountability.
- Respect: Sportsmanship is a focal point of the Intramural Program; treating others with respect is not up for debate. Remember, in the end, we are all Eagles.
- Professionalism: The Intramural Program strives for a level of professionalism that will foster growth in our student employees and that will give participants a program to be proud of.
- Passion: Individuals participating in intramurals, whether a player or an official, should approach their role with positive energy and enthusiasm.
- Community: The Intramural Program hopes to promote lasting relationships and camaraderie at Boston College.
Goals of the Intramural Sports Program
Here are the goals for the 2015-2016 campaign:
- Add All-Star Games: This will be a fun addition to our leagues. We will host 1 Intramural All-Star game for each of our major sports during the academic year.
- Facebook Updates: Last year we had regular Power Rankings posted on Facebook, this year we will be adding game videos and meet the intramural staff Q&A's.
- Better Pinnies: It is always best if teams have their own uniforms, but for Spring basketball we are making a bigger investment in pinnies that will hopefully make it through the rigors of the season.
Priorities of the Intramural Program
- To provide a wide range of individual and team sports at varying levels of competitiveness for students, faculty and staff at Boston College.
- To provide opportunities for social interaction and the development of lasting friendships.
- To teach the value of sportsmanship, the principles of fair play, and a positive attitude.
- To develop habits of participation in physical activity that can carry over into everyday living.
- To provide leadership opportunities through participation.
- To provide employment opportunities and educational experiences for students.