Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Social Security Numbers

A. Social Security Numbers

If you will be earning money in the U.S. and have authorization to work on campus or off-campus (including graduate assistantships), you must apply for a Social Security number in order to be paid.

To apply for the Social Security number:

  • Obtain and offer for employment. Note: As of October 2004, all students must have a job in order to receive a social security number.
  • Ask your new employer to complete the form "Statement Concerning F-1 Student's Application for a Social Security Number". The letter must be printed by the hiring employer on their specific letterhead paper
  • Bring the completed form to the OISS. We will create a work permission letter for you to show to BC Student Services and the Social Security Office.
  • Apply for the Social Security Number (SSN): Once you have been in the country for 10 days, Bring your passport, I-94 card, I-20 or DS-2019 form, "Statement Concerning F-1 Student's Application for a Social Security Number" and OISS work authorization letter to the Social Security Office Monday –Friday from 9AM-3:30PM
    • Social Security Office, Boston
      10 Causeway St, Room 148
      Boston MA 02222
      Green line T Line to “North Station”
  • Ask for receipt at the Social Security Office. When applying for the card you should ask for a paper receipt showing that you have applied for a Social Security number, since it could take several weeks before you will receive the card. Boston College will allow you to be paid and start working as long as you have the receipt.
  • Complete Tax forms.  All international students, scholars and faculty who have obtained employment on campus should complete a Boston College Foreign National Form at the Payroll Office in 129 Lake St.This form is also required by any receiving tuition remission or a scholarship. Bring the receipt from the SSN application and all of your immigration documents with you to the payroll office. You will also need to go to Student Services in Lyons Hall  to complete an I-9 form (this can be done either before or after you have applied for the SSN. You will need to show Student Services the Work Permission Letter from the OISS).

Note: If you had a nine-digit number (usually beginning with a “9”) assigned to you during registration at Boston College, it is not an actual Social Security number. It is an arbitrary number given to you by Boston College to serve as your identification number for the computer system.

Insert text here