Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

Extensions of Stay

A. Students with F-1 Visa Status- procedure
International students who fail to complete their educational program within the time period indicated on their I-20 Form are required to file a program extension. The student must demonstrate that he or she is currently full-time and has legitimate academic or medical reasons for a delay, such as a change in major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness.

You must apply to the Office of International Students and Scholars for a program extension PRIOR to the expected graduation date indicated on your I-20 Form.

B. Students with J-1 Visa Status- procedure
Students with J-1 visa status must apply for an extension and a new DS-2019 form must be obtained from the sponsor BEFORE the current one expires. If your program sponsor is Boston College, you will need to establish that you are maintaining full-time student status at Boston College and that you have sufficient funds for the coming academic year to support yourself and your dependents before the new DS-2019 can be issued. Please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars for specific procedures.

C. Grace Period After Completion of Studies
If you complete your studies: As an F-1 student you are allowed 60 days to remain in the United States after your completion of studies date. J-1 students and scholars are allowed 30 days. During this time you are no longer allowed to work or study. Note that the 30 or 60 day period is from the day that you complete your studies, NOT the expiration of your I-20 or DS 2019 form.

D. If you withdraw from the university: Students who obtain prior permission to withdraw from the Office of International Students and Scholars are allowed a 15 day grace period. If you drop out of school without prior approval you are NOT eligible for the grace periods.

Please note: You cannot leave the country and re-enter the U.S. during your grace period!