J-1 Academic Training
What is Academic Training?
Academic Training is paid or unpaid employment directly related to your major field of study and be an integral or critical part of your academic program.
Who is eligible?
If you are a full-time student, in good academic standing.
How long can I work using Academic Training?
- You are eligible for up to 18 months of academic training (or the period of study, whichever is less). Post-doctoral students are permitted to participate in academic training for up to 36 months.
- The training can be used during your course of study (part-time or full-time), upon completion of studies, or a combination of both.
- Training that is a mandatory part of an academic program will not count against the 18 months available. All Academic Training is counted as full-time even if you are working part time.
How do I apply?
Academic training MUST be applied for prior to your completion of studies. (If you find a job in the 30 day grace period please consult the OISS- it may be possible for you to apply during your grace period). You must have a specific job offer to be eligible for academic training and your job must start no later than 30 days after your completion of studies.
In order to apply you should submit the following:
- A letter of recommendation to the Office of International Students and Scholars from your academic advisor or chairperson of your department which states:
- That you are a full-time student in good academic standing and your (estimated) completion of studies date.
- The goals and objectives of the specific of the employment, how the training relates to your major field of study and why the training is an integral or critical part of your academic program
- A description of the employment, including:
- Address (please include a full address including the zip code)
- Name and email address of the supervisor,
- Number of hours per week
- Dates of the training.
- Why the training is an integral or critical part of your academic program.
- If approved, the OISS will give you a new DS-2019 noting the Academic Training. No approval from the Immigration Service is required.