The Jesuit Vision
"The mission of the Society of Jesus is the service of faith, of which the promotion of justice is an absolute requirement, for reconciliation with God demands the reconciliation of people with one another."
-32nd General Congregation of the Society of Jesus
What is Urban Immersion?
Urban Immersion is a week-long learning experience in which 25-30 students spend seven days in Boston during winter break, actively learning about and participating in the lives of those most affected by the complex social issues of systemic poverty and homelessness.
The group spends the week at various outreach programs each day and comes together each evening to hear from speakers and to pray, reflect, and discuss as a group.
The variety of projects students engage in during the days of the week include serving guests at Rosie’s Place, St. Francis House, The Boston Living Center, Boston Mission and Marian Manor. Certain places may change depending on availability.
During evening seminars, the group studies a variety of urban issues such as racism, homelessness, and theological perspectives on urban life. Various speakers visit to share their ministries with the group. To ground the community in the love and justice of God, each day ends in a communal multi-faith prayer service.
What is poverty? Are people poor because they are lazy? How can I help homeless people? Is there a difference between charity and justice? What are the problems and possibilities of urban life today? How do I respond as a person of faith? These are some of the questions that are explored in B.C.'s Urban Immersion program in which students engage in direct service with impoverished people, study some of the many issues confronting city-dwellers, and form a community of prayer and hope with other Urban Immersion students.
Urban Immersion 2016 will take place January 10-15, 2016. Please register by December 1, 2015.
Registration for Urban Immersion is now open!
- Open the Urban Immersion program page (select University Mission and Ministry from the list if it is your first time visiting the system)
- Click Apply for Program.
- Log-in with your BC credentials (the same username and password that you use for Agora).
- Select the Edit button that appears next to Urban Immersion Registration Form to complete and submit your application.
- Navigate to the UMM System: bc.edu/ummstpm (select University Mission and Ministry from the list if it is your first time visiting the system)
- Log-in via the button in the upper right corner using your BC credentials.
- Select My Programs in the left navigation bar.
- Click the pencil next to Urban Immersion.
- You will be on the Profile Information page. Scroll all the way to the bottom of the page.
- Select Make Payment.
- You will be redirected to a new page where you can securely submit your credit or debit card information through CashNet. Please note: It make take a few moments for your payment to process, DO NOT refresh the page after clicking Submit Payment.
- Once your payment has been submitted, you will be automatically returned to the UMM System and "CashNet transaction was successful" will display.
- You will also receive an email receipt of payment.