Joining Appa is as easy as showing up. We have no application process; any student who wants to participate can. We simply ask that you complete our registration form and can commit to the following requirements:
Registering for Appalachia
Terms & Conditions: All students participating in Appa must submit basic registration information and the program’s terms and conditions form online. The terms and conditions form is accessible here. Students will be directed to secure site to submit their $75 program fee (“dues”) after completing the above link.
Participation and Attendance
Biweekly Meetings: We meet every other Sunday from 4:30 - 6 PM in the Eagles Nest. Our hope is that each meeting provides an opportunity for members to experience our “love, learn, serve” mission in new ways. For that reason, attendance at meetings is mandatory. Members who cannot make a meeting should e-mail email@example.com ahead of time to alert us to their absence. Three unexcused absences will result in a student’s dismissal from the program and a forfeiture of paid dues.
Finances and Fundraising
Program Fee: $75, which includes an Appalachia T-shirt, is due with your signed terms and conditions. This fee can be paid online, via credit card, at www.bc.edu/appafund. Participants can also pay in cash or check.
Letter Campaign: The Appalachia Volunteers program is entirely donor-supported. We rely on the generosity of donors to support our work on-campus and across the country. Volunteers are expected to send 10 letters seeking financial support from family, friends, past employers, teachers, a local parish, etc. A template for these letters, and more specific instructions, can be found online at www.bc.edu/appafund. NOTE: Your program fee includes 10 stamped envelopes to use for your letters.
Raffle: Volunteers are expected to sell at least $200 in raffle tickets, which can be downloaded via our Volunteer Resources website at www.bc.edu/appafund. A full list of raffle prizes will also be viewable on this web page. Volunteers can opt to collect cash or a check for raffle purchases. For your convenience, you may also submit raffle donations in a single, online payment of $200 via: www.bc.edu/appafund. Raffle winners will be selected live during the spring semester.
Please contact our Program Director if you have any concerns about the cost of participating in Appa. No one will be turned away from participation in our program solely because the overall cost seems prohibitive.
All general meetings are held at 4:30 PM on Sundays in the Eagles Nest, unless otherwise noted.
FALL 2017 General Meetings
March 2 5:30 PM Send-Off Liturgy in St. Ignatius Church
March 3-10 APPA TRIPS
March 18 Unpacking Appa/End-of-Year Meeting
RAFFLE: Students are responsible for selling $200 worth of raffle tickets as a part of their requirement. You can download and print the tickets from this PDF. Please make sure all writing is clear and legible.
You can submit raffle payment via cash, check (payable to Boston College), or credit card. To pay via credit card:
- Visit bc.edu/ummstpm
- Login with BC username and password via Sign in to My Account button in the upper right hand corner
- Under the list of UMM Programs You Have Been Accepted Into, you should see a red button on the Appalachia Volunteers line that says Make Payment, click it
- On this page you can submit your $75 program fee and/or your raffle contribution. Enter that amount you would like to pay in the respective Payment Amount field and click Make Payment
- You will be redirected to the secure CashNet page where you can submit your payment information. You will receive an email confirming your successful payment.
LETTER WRITING CAMPAIGN: You should utilize the following document for the letter writing campaign. The program relies on this fundraising effort, which in the past has helped raise more than $125,000 annually for the Appalachia program.
Download the friends and family letter here
Print, personally address, and sign at least 10 letters.
Bring the letters, along with the names and addresses of 10 individuals, to our Nov. 6 meeting. We will provide you with stamped envelopes, which you will address and submit at the meeting.
PROGRAM FEE (“dues”): The program fee is $75. It can be paid via credit card, cash, or check. Dues are nonrefundable.
The Appalachia Program relies on dozens of past participants to hold key leadership roles in the program. Roles within our Trip Leader community, as well as on our student Council, are available in March of each year.
Appa Trip Leaders (TLs) help animate the work of the Appalachia Program. It is an important leadership opportunity within Campus Ministry and in our larger campus community. We're looking for students passionate about Appa -- in particular, our works of faith, service, justice, and community.
There are several commitments for Trip Leaders, and we ask that you please be sure you can honor ALL commitments before applying:
- - Must be free on Sundays, starting in fall 2016, from 4-7:30 p.m. for Trip Leader formation and weekly General Meeting
- - Must be available for the following retreat / formation activities
- - Opening meeting on Thursday, May 5 at 7:30 p.m. (for those not abroad)
- - Monday, Aug. 22 - Tuesday, Aug. 23 for the TL Retreat (early move-in available for those living on-campus)
- - Monday, Jan. 16 from approximately 12-5 p.m. (MLK, Jr. Day)
- - Sunday, Feb. 19 from approximately 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- - Available for spring break (March 4 - March 11, 2017)
- - Participate in all necessary requirements of the program
- - Dedication to creating a post-trip experience rooted in faith, service, justice, and community for our participants
*Candidates who are currently abroad are encouraged to apply. While we ask that you make every attempt to be available to Skype into meetings held while abroad, absences in these instance will not prevent you from being selected.
Applications for TL are accepted in March of each year, with new and returning leaders selected in April.
Interested in supporting the students and service of Appalachia Volunteers?
Learn more about donating to Appa.