lesbian and gay faculty, staff, and administrators association
Welcome to the homepage of the Lesbian and Gay Faculty, Staff, and Administrators Association (LGFSAA) at Boston College. Through this website, we hope to offer an introduction to the LGFSAA, and provide current news and relevant resources to the campus community. We encourage you to reach out to our steering committee members, and to get involved as an LGFSAA member.
We aspire by our presence and visibility to help create a safe and supportive professional environment for all lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender employees of Boston College. The LGFSAA is a professional organization that serves as a resource and advocacy group for these employees and their families.
Among the particular functions of the LGFSAA are the following:
- To provide a safe and confidential forum for the discussion of issues important to the LGBT community at Boston College.
- To encourage and promote scholarship, research and teaching that addresses questions relevant to gay and lesbian persons and to all members of the academy across disciplines concerned with understanding the role of sexual orientation in culture and society.
- To help faculty across the university to develop pedagogical approaches that are sensitive to the sexual diversity present both in our classrooms and in the larger community that will be served by the undergraduates and graduates we are preparing for professional service.
- To help faculty and staff across the university understand and model behaviors that contribute to making Boston College a productive learning and working environment for gay and lesbian employees and students.
- In the spirit of Boston College's tradition of "the faith that does justice", to provide support for the University regarding issues that affect the well being of LGBT employees of the University.
In the fall of 2004, a group of Boston College faculty and staff announced the formation of the LGFSAA. The history of the organization is detailed in "Breaking the Silence and Creating Safe Space: The Organizing of the LGFSAA" (PDF). This document is the prepared remarks of a presentation given by theology professor John McDargh at the 2005 Out There Conference, held October 28, 2005 at Santa Clara University.