Get Started With Your Computer at BC
mac and windows computers
On this page:
When you first start up your computer, you will be asked to create a username and password for the Administrator account on your computer. Please remember your username and password! You'll need them to log into your computer.
Get BC's required anti-virus software for no additional cost at: www.bc.edu/virus
Important: All computers on the BC network must be running BC's required anti-virus software. You must uninstall other anti-virus software before installing BC’s anti-virus.
Make sure your computer is up-to-date with any Mac or Windows software updates released by Apple or Microsoft. You should automatically be prompted to update your computer. If you are not prompted, do the following:
- Mac OSX: From the Apple menu, select About this Mac, and then click Software Update.
- Windows 10: Click the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.
Note: For older operating systems, search the web to learn how to update the system software.
If you don't already have it, install Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) for no additional cost from the Software Download site.
Important for Windows: If you have a trial version of Office installed on your new computer, you must uninstall this trial version before installing the full Office version.
Make sure you don't lose important files (if your computer stops working) by backing up your computer on a regular basis. The easiest way to do this is to use an online service (such as CrashPlan, Carbonite, or DropBox) that will do it automatically for you. You might also consider purchasing an external hard drive. Also, BC Google Drive offers you an unlimited amount of space to store files. Learn more at: www.bc.edu/backup
- Log in to Agora Portal (the BC Intranet): http://portal.bc.edu
- Log in to BC Gmail (g.bc.edu) using the format BCusername@bc.edu and your Secondary Password. To create or change your Secondary Password, log in to Agora Portal (http://portal.bc.edu).
- Learn how to configure your email software (ex. Apple Mail or Outlook) to get your BC email.
- Learn more about email at BC: www.bc.edu/email
- Learn how to connect to the BC Network.
- Get more technology help at: www.bc.edu/help