Get Started With Your Computer at BC
apple and windows computers
On this page:
When you first start up your computer, you will be asked to create a username and password for the Administrator account on your computer. Please remember your username and password! You'll need them to log into your computer.
Get BC's required anti-virus software for free at: www.bc.edu/virus
Important: All computers on the BC network must be running BC's required anti-virus software. You must uninstall other anti-virus software before installing BC’s anti-virus.
Make sure your computer is up-to-date with any Mac or Windows software updates released by Apple or Microsoft. You should automatically be prompted to update your computer. If you are not prompted, do the following:
- Mac: From the Apple menu, select Software Update.
- Windows: Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
Windows Note: Learn when Windows “Home” versions are not recommended at BC at: www.bc.edu/winhome
If you don't already have it, install Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook) for free from the Software Download site.
To make sure you don't lose important files if your computer stops working, you should back up your computer on a regular basis. You can use an online service, such as CrashPlan, DropBox, or Carbonite. You might also consider purchasing a flashdrive or external hard drive. Also, BC Google Drive offers you an unlimited amount of space to store files. Learn more at: www.bc.edu/backup
- Log in to Agora Portal (the BC Intranet): http://portal.bc.edu
- Log in to BC Gmail (g.bc.edu) using the format BCusername@bc.edu and your Secondary Password.
- Learn how to configure your email software (ex. Apple Mail or Outlook) to get your BC email.
- Learn more about email at BC: www.bc.edu/email
- Learn how to connect to the BC Network.
- Get more technology help and documentation at: www.bc.edu/help