Access to Services
faculty guide to technology boston college
- Information for New Faculty
- Secure Access to Services
- Network Access
- Access to Web Services - Agora Portal
New faculty are encouraged to carefully review the New Employee Technology Essentials page.
Notice Regarding Initial Access to Services
You will not be issued a BC username and temporary password until all of your paperwork has been processed by BC Human Resources. Once you receive your username and temporary password, use them to log in to Agora Portal. In Agora Portal, accept the Technology Use Agreement, set your Privacy Preferences, and select a password and PIN. These security credentials are your key to technology services at Boston College.
The first time you log in to the voicemail system, you will be prompted to record an audio name and greeting.
Deskside Coaching - Overview of Technology Services
Communications & Training, a group within Information Technology Services (ITS), offers deskside coaching sessions to acquaint new faculty members with technology at Boston College. To schedule an appointment, email email@example.com or call 617-552-1430.
Access to network resources is controlled through a username and password login. Voicemail is accessed using a Personal Identification Number (PIN) and long distance phone calls require a Long Distance Access Code (LDAC).
BC Security Credentials
- Your username is assigned by the University and is a variation of your last name.
- Usernames cannot be changed.
- Use your 8-12 digit, alpha-numeric password to access the BC network and restricted online services.
- To select or change your password, access Agora Portal and select Security Credentials from your list of services.
Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Use your 5 digit PIN to access the BC Voicemail system.
- To select or change your PIN, access Agora Portal and select Security Credentials from your list of services.
Long Distance Access Code (LDAC)
- If you qualify for an LDAC, it will be sent to you via email, once your TC has been authorized by the Department Chair to process the request. See dialing instructions.
Faculty have access to wired network connections from offices and classrooms. Secure wireless access is also available across most of the campus, including outdoor areas.
Activation on the BC Network
Both wired and wireless connections must be registered on the BC network through an activation procedure. Faculty office computers are activated during setup. The Help Center can assist you with the activation of additional computers.
To activate: http://activate.bc.edu
View detailed information on hardware requirements, activation procedures, and configuration at: www.bc.edu/network
- All computers on the BC network must have BC’s enterprise version of anti-virus software installed.
Secure Wireless Network
BC’s secure wireless network allows faculty to travel across campus with their laptops and securely connect to the Internet from classrooms, dining halls, and outdoor spaces. Learn more at: www.bc.edu/wireless
Visitor Network Access
Conference and meeting attendees, colleagues from other institutions, and other visitors may obtain limited, temporary Internet access. Information and instruction at: www.bc.edu/visitors
For information on accessing the BC Network from off-campus, view: www.bc.edu/remoteaccess
Agora Portal, the BC Intranet, provides access to most of the web-based services discussed in this guide as well as access to many administrative functions to help you manage your courses, email, and personal information. The Portal is customizable and allows for single logon access to BC web services.
Agora Portal Login: http://portal.bc.edu
Login to Agora Portal to:
- View your benefits information, payroll status, contributions, and withholdings
- Access Library services, including book renewal
- Add funds to your Eagle-One card to make purchases in BC Dining Halls and elsewhere
- Access course rosters with photos
- Update your contact information
- Search BC Directory of faculty, staff & students
- And much more!