Communication and Collaboration
faculty guide to technology at boston college
Many tools for communication and working collaboratively are available to Boston College faculty:
- Email and Calendaring Services
- Email FAQs
- Email and voicemail distribution lists
- Shared File Access (MyFiles)
Each faculty member is provided a BC Gmail account for integrated email and calendaring. Faculty may choose from a variety of applications to access their account. Go to g.bc.edu to access you BC Gmail and calendar. Learn more about your BC Gmail & calendar at: www.bc.edu/googlehelp.
Group email accounts: Learn how to use Google Groups as a collaborative inbox (includes how to set up a new Google Group to use as a collaborative inbox or to add collaborative inbox features to an existing Google Group).
If you repeatedly send messages to the same group of people, distribution lists are useful. Once created, a single email address can be used to reach every member of the group/list. Learn about the distribution list options available at BC including how to email student in your courses with a single address.
MyFiles@bc allows faculty to access their personal documents through a web browser. It is a convenient way to “transport” documents between office and home or share documents with others. Log in to MyFiles@bc.
- Faculty are given 1 GB of disk space and may request additional space as necessary.
- Transfer of documents is secure.
- The MyFiles@bc server is backed up nightly.
- MyFiles@bc can be used to backup critical documents.
- Shortcuts can be created on your computer to the MyFiles@bc server for easy transfer of documents.
- MyFiles@bc can be used to share documents with students, colleagues at BC, or elsewhere.
Learn how to use MyFiles@bc.
ITS Communications & Training provides training to faculty and staff on using MyFiles@bc. You may also arrange for someone to visit your class to provide an overview to your students.
- View the training schedule: www.bc.edu/training
- Contact Communications & Training: email@example.com
Learn about building a website with password protection within MyFiles@bc.