boston college computer replacement program
- What do I need to do to prepare for my new computer?
- What should I expect on the day I receive my new computer?
- Where do I go if I have questions about the BCCR program?
Note for Windows Users:
- Starting at 4:00 p.m. the day before you are scheduled to receive your new computer, we will start the overnight process of transferring your files and folders. You will need to stop using your computer and make sure it is connected to the BC network using a wired, not wireless, connection. You will also not be able to logout or shut down your computer once this process begins. Your computer must be ON and LOGGED IN in order for the data migration process to succeed.
- You will be able to use your computer on your deployment day prior to the technician's arrival but you will need to keep track of your documents. Any changed or new documents must be saved to another location (thumbdrive). This data will not be moved to your new computer for you.
Note for Current Mac Users:
- Please make sure that all of your documents that you want migrated are in your user/Home folder.
- You will need to be present while your new computer is installed to log in and verify that your files have all been transferred.
- In most cases, installation should take about 1 hour and 15 minutes for a Windows computer. The installation process for an Apple computer is a bit longer since data is moved at the desk instead of an overnight process over the BC network.
- If desired, we will have loaner laptops available for you to use while your new computer is set up.
- By the end of the following day, we will install any special software and peripherals you need.
- Explore this website for more information about the program.
- If you cannot find the information you need on this site, contact your DC.