BCCR Planning Project Update
boston college computer replacement program
In December of 2011, ITS initiated a Project to review all BCCR business rules and processes with lenses of continuous improvement and cost savings.
The Project's four main activities were:
- Steering Committee Reviewed BCCR Business Rules
- Reviewed hardware vendor choices (including an RFP)
- Investigated outsourcing the process and/or labor (including an RFP)
- Systematic review of BCCR business and technical procedures.
A steering committee reviewed Business rules:
|University Representation:||ITS Representation:|
Steering Committee Recomendations:
- Faculty/Staff Eligibility - No Change
- Shared System Allocation - Review with Department Contacts
- Replace Dell Monitors in BCCR3
- Departments must return a working system for every computer system replaced. Allow departments to return thier older BC owned computers first.
- Provide information to help departments make informed decisions on model selection and make it easier to purchase accessories, etc.
- Explore better use of old/returned BCCR systems on-campus.
- Explore streamlining the management of BCCR and non-BCCR computers.
A committee of representatives from across BC assisted ITS with the creation and review of a Request for Proposal (RFP) which was submitted to several major hardware manufacturers. Upon completion, the decision was made to continue with our current BCCR hardware vendors: Dell and Apple.
ITS learned through this procedure that our existing deployment procedures are in-line with industry practice. ITS is able to deliver to Boston College faculty and staff highly customized computer systems at a lower labor cost.
Numerous improvements to internal processes and procedures came about as a result of this systematic (step-by-step) review.