Skip to main content

Secondary navigation:

international programs

Safety & Wellness Abroad

office of international programs


The safety and welfare of our students abroad is of our first and foremost concern and care.  Please review this page, as well as your Boston College Handbook for Study Abroad.

Medical Coverage

Our student accident and health insurance blanket policy with HTH Worldwide Insurance Services provides worldwide medical coverage for registered Boston College students while traveling and living outside the United States. All students planning to study abroad receive the Student Health and Disability Information for Study Abroad sheet. Please be sure to review it carefully prior to your departure.

fall 2014 handbook cover OIP

Travel Documents

Students need to have a valid passport in order to study abroad. If needed, your international study advisor will inform you how to obtain an entry visa or student residency permit. In some cases we help handle visa applications, and in other cases we provide information on where to obtain a visa to study abroad. For general information on document requirements and visa application procedures, please visit the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs
Special provisions may apply to international students or non-U.S. citizens going abroad. Please check with the respective Consulate General of Embassy of the country where your passport is issued.

Security Updates

OIP regularly monitors U.S. State Department advisories, and recommends that students and their parents also stay informed. Boston College has a policy in place for political and natural disaster evacuation cases.

Emergency Evacuation Plan

Arrival Abroad

Once you have arrived at your study-abroad destination, please be sure to contact your family. Next, please login to the OIP database and follow 'Step 3' to add your mailing address and contact information abroad. Remember to check your BC email address for important updates during your time abroad.