Selecting Courses Abroad
office of international programs
Every host institution and external program provider handles the course selection process differently. To ensure the most accurate and efficient transfer of credits and grades to your BC student record, please follow the steps below and review our academic policies carefully.
Required Academic Steps for BC Students Studying Abroad
2. Meet with your academic advisor and discuss your course selection. Try to select courses that you would not be able to take at BC, in Boston, in the US, or in your home country.
3. Review the policies and process for course approvals, and complete the OIP Degree Audit Course Substitution Form For Study Abroad for courses which you would like to count toward major, minor, or core credit. Completed forms must be turned into Student Services.
4. Select your courses: remember to register for a full course load (the equivalent of 15-16 US credits), keeping in mind that courses must have a substantial academic component.
1. Declare any courses you would like to take pass/fail within the one-month deadline (for accelerated, intensive, or early-start courses, consult your OIP Advisor). You are required to take a full load of courses at your host institution abroad.
2. Keep copies of all syllabi, course materials, assignments, and correspondence with faculty for future reference.
3. Register online for BC courses for the semester following your return.
4. Check if your institution or provider requires a transcript release form before you leave.
1. Students on external programs: request that your transcript be sent to the OIP.
2. Be patient: it can take anywhere from a few days to a couple of months for your transcript to be sent by your host institution and processed by OIP and Student Services. If you require an expedited transcript processing, contact the Academic Operations Administrator.