Inspired by the decision to build a new football stadium in 1957, BC alumni supported the construction of a gymnasium containing a basketball court as well as a regulation-size hockey rink. Located along Beacon Street, south of the Middle Campus, the gymnasium was named the Roberts Center after Mr. and Mrs. Vincent P. Roberts, generous benefactors of the College. The hockey rink, built parallel to the football stadium, was called McHugh Forum after Fr. Patrick J. McHugh, SJ, a popular BC dean.
In 1988 the Silvio O. Conte Forum was built on the Lower Campus to provide larger and more-modern facilities. It was named after U.S. Representative Silvio O. Conte ('49), 30-year veteran Massachusetts congressman and former BC Football letterman. The building, which is connected to Alumni Stadium, provides seating capacity of 8,500 for basketball and 7,784 for hockey.
Conte Forum is now the main area for men's and women's ice hockey and basketball, as well as the location of the athletic offices for most varsity sports at Boston College. The forum also accommodates numerous conferences, concerts, and other entertainments, including the annual scholarship fundraiser Pops on the Heights, featuring the Boston Pops Orchestra.