Named in honor of Andrew Carney, a 19th-century Boston merchant and philanthropist who was an early benefactor of Boston College, Carney Hall is located along Beacon Street between McElroy Commons and McGuinn Hall.
A native of County Cavan, Ireland, Andrew Carney came to America at the age of twenty. He worked as a tailor and, through careful saving, became a partner in Carney & Sleeper, Clothiers. He was one of the originators of the First National Bank of Boston, as well as of the John Hancock Insurance Company. A loyal friend to the Jesuits and the new Immaculate Conception Church in the South End, upon his death on April 4, 1864, Andrew Carney left a generous bequest of some $25,000 worth of securities that helped launch Boston College as a viable institution.
The sudden and rapid extension of the lay faculty at Boston College after World War II quickly outran office space. The Jesuits had their own rooms in St. Mary's Hall; the new buildings constructed for the professional schools — Law, Business, Education, Nursing — provided office space for their members. The faculty of the College of Arts and Sciences, however, had only makeshift arrangements.
Under Rev. Michael P. Walsh, SJ, president of Boston College, ground was broken in April 1963 for a faculty office building called Carney Hall. A four-story, functional structure arranged in a square L-shape, Carney provided office space for most of the Arts & Sciences departments. As the faculty continued to grow, the University launched a building program to create a much more spacious faculty office building on the Lower Campus below the O'Neill Library.