Named for St. Edmund Campion, SJ, an English martyr during the Elizabethan era, Campion Hall is located across from both McGuinn Hall and Cushing Hall.
Born in London in 1539, young Edmund Campion displayed such a bright intellect that he was awarded a scholarship to St. John's College, Oxford. Although he accepted a position in Queen Elizabeth's church, he soon returned to the Catholic faith, fled to the Continent, and joined the Society of Jesus. After ordination, Campion returned to London, where he wrote a powerful manifesto, later known as Campion's Brag, outlining the religious reasons for his mission to England. Eventually he was captured and taken to the Tower of London. After brutal torture, Campion was hanged, drawn, and quartered on December 1, 1581.
In 1951, Boston College decided to start a coeducational School of Education — the first time that female undergraduates would be enrolled on the Chestnut Hill campus. For its first three years, the school was housed in makeshift quarters in Gasson Hall. With the prospect that as many as 500 female students would soon be living on a campus whose sanitary facilities were designed exclusively for an all-male population, a new building was an absolute requirement.
The response came with remarkable speed. Almost as soon as classes started, contracts were signed with Maginnis and Walsh. Campion was ready for the opening of classes in September 1955, so that the members of the initial entering class would be able to spend their senior year in the new building. The school's auditorium was designated the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Memorial in honor of the deceased World War II hero and in appreciation of the Kennedy family's support. In 1999, the school itself was named the Carolyn A. and Peter S. Lynch ('65) School of Education in recognition of the couple's generous endowment gift.