Downloading and Installing Sophos Anti-Virus 8
anti-virus software for mac os x
Students can download Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac Home Edition directly from Sophos.
Faculty and Staff
- Print this page (or save it as a PDF) for reference.
- Download Sophos Anti-Virus to your Desktop. When prompted, enter your BC username and password. Save the Boston College Sophos 8 installation file to your desktop. Do not open the file at this time.
- Quit any open applications.
Note: You will need to remove any existing anti-virus software, such as Norton or McAfee, before installing the BC Sophos software. If you need assistance uninstalling your existing anti-virus software, please contact the Help Center at ext. 2-HELP (617-552-4357) or email@example.com.
note: This software should take no more than 5 minutes to install.
- Double-click the Boston College Sophos 8 installation file on your desktop.
- Double-click the Sophos Anti-Virus installation package, Boston College Sophos 8.
- When prompted that the “package contains a program that determines if the software can be installed, ” click Continue.
- Click Continue on the Introduction screen.
- Select your hard drive, then click Continue on the Destination Select screen to install the software on your hard drive.
- Click Install to install the software with default options.
- Enter your Mac username and password when prompted, then click OK.
- When is says "Install Succeeded," click Close.
- Restart your computer.
- Reconnect your computer to the Internet.
- Drag the Boston College Sophos 8 and SAV OS X icons to the Trash.
- Click the Sophos shield icon in the menu bar and choose Update Now to immediately download and install the software's virus definitions.
NOTE: After the initial update, you do not need to take any special steps to make sure Sophos Anti-virus is up-to-date. Sophos Anti-virus for Mac OS X will update itself automatically.