Downloading and Installing Sophos Anti-Virus 9
anti-virus software for mac os x
Students can download Sophos Home directly from Sophos.
Faculty and Staff
Pre-installation (faculty & staff only)
- Print this page (or save it as a PDF) for reference.
- Download Sophos Anti-Virus from the software download site to your Desktop (BC sign-in required). Do not open the file at this time.
- Disconnect your computer from the Internet — unplug the Ethernet cable and/or disconnect from the wireless network.
- Quit any open applications.
Note: You will need to remove any existing anti-virus software, such as Norton or McAfee, before installing the BC Sophos software. If you need assistance uninstalling your existing anti-virus software, please contact the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (4357) or email@example.com.
note: This software should take no more than 5 minutes to install.
Installing Sophos Anti-Virus (faculty & staff only)
- Double-click the BC_Sophos_9 installation file on your desktop.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install.
- When prompted, enter your Mac username and password.
- After the software is installed, restart your computer.
After installation (faculty & staff only)
- Reconnect your computer to the Internet.
- Drag the BC_Sophos_9 installation files to the Trash.
- In the menu bar, click the Sophos shield icon and select Update Now to immediately download and install the software's virus definitions.
NOTE: After the initial update, you do not need to take any special steps to make sure Sophos Anti-virus is up-to-date. Sophos Anti-virus for Mac OS X will update itself automatically.