Scan for Viruses in Windows
for windows computers
Note: The initial scan of your computer may take a long time to complete.
To scan your computer for viruses using McAfee VirusScan Enterprise:
- In your system tray (bottom-right corner of your screen), right-click the VirusScan icon, then click On-Demand Scan from the pop-up menu.
Click Start > All Programs > McAfee, then click On-Demand Scan.
- In the On-Demand window, select All Local Drives , then click Start.
McAfee VirusScan will scan all your files for viruses.
- If no virus is found, close all McAfee VirusScan windows (see Figure 1).
- If a virus, spyware, or adware is found, VirusScan attempts to delete it. Depending upon the results of this, one of the following happens:
- The infected is deleted; you do not need to do anything else. Your computer is no longer infected.
- The infected file cannot be deleted, so the file is moved to the C:/Quarantine folder. Delete the file from the Quarantine folder: Within the VirusScan window, right-click the file name and click Delete (see Figure 2).
- The infected file cannot be deleted and it cannot be moved to the C:/Quarantine folder. To get rid of it:
- If necessary, repeat steps 1-2 for other drives or disks. Make sure to scan all your computer's drives, files, and memory.
- When all scanning is done, close all McAfee VirusScan windows.