Handling Scan Results
using identity finder
If you have PII on your computer, you will receive an email asking you to remove the PII from your computer or move it to a secure location. On this page, learn about your options:
- Option 1: "Shred" (Delete) the File
- Option 2: Delete the PII from the File
- Option 3: Request to "Ignore" the PII
- Option 4: Move the File to a Secure Location
- Check the box in front of the file you want to delete from your computer.
Note: If you want to retain the file containing the sensitive information, copy it to a secure location (such as your department server) before deleting it from your computer.
- In the toolbar, click Shred.
- If you cannot shred the file, make sure you have the proper permissions to delete the file.
- The Secure and Quarantine buttons have been disabled and will not function for this version of Identity Finder.
- When prompted to confirm that you would like to delete the items permanently, click Yes.
- When a window appears stating that items have been deleted, click OK.
Option 2A: Use the "Scrub" feature
You can only scrub Office 2007 and higher files (e.g., docx, xlsx, pptx) and text files (i.e., *.txt, *.log, *.ini).
To delete PII from the file using the "Scrub" feature:
- Check the box in front of the file you want to delete the PII from.
- Make sure the PII is highlighted in the preview pane on the right.
- In the toolbar, click Scrub.
The PII is removed from the file.
- The next time Identity Finder scans, it will not find PII in this file.
Option 2B: Manually delete the PII
To manually delete PII from the file:
- Open the file containing PII and just delete the PII, then save.
- The next time Identity Finder scans, it will not find PII in these files.
If the PII found is not actually PII, you can request that it be ignored in subsequent scans:
- Check the box in front of the file you want to ignore.
- Click Ignore > This Item Location or This Identity Match.
- When prompted, click Yes.
Ignore requests will automatically be sent to your DSO for approval.
If the DSO approves it, the next time Identity Finder scans, it will ignore this PII.
- Copy the file to a secure location (such as your department server). Contact your DSO [BC sign-in required] to learn about your department's preferred storage location.
- Move the orginal file off your computer to the Trash, then Empty the Trash.
Note: If you cannot move the file to the trash, make sure you have the proper permissions to delete the file.
- Learn where to store confidential data.
- For questions about confidential data and handling scan results, contact your Data Security Officer (DSO) [BC sign-in required].
- For questions or technical issues about the Identity Finder software, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- See also: Identity Finder online help