at boston college
Windows 10 may have compatibility issues with the software and services you use on campus. For more details, visit the Windows Application Support Grid (sign-in to BC Wiki required).
Note: All Windows computers distributed through the BCCR program have Windows 10 Pro installed on them.
How can I upgrade my computer to Windows 10 Pro?
Before you upgrade, make sure all your other software is compatible with this version.
- Faculty & Staff: If you are interested in moving to Windows 10 Pro, please contact your Technology Consultant.
- Students: You can bring your computer to the Walk-In Help Desk in O'Neill 316.
Note: The Dell Latitude E6420 and E6320 have known system incompatibilities with Windows 10 and should not be upgraded.
Windows 10 Feature Updates
Microsoft is now releasing major Feature Updates to the Windows operating system 2-3 times a year that update built-in apps and add new features. These updates may take 90-120 minutes to complete.
Starting January 4, 2018, the 1703 Feature Update will be available to BC-owned computers on campus.
What to expect
Your computer will automatically download the Feature Update and notify you that it’s ready to install. You’ll be prompted to update, or pick a time to do the update (see Figure 1). Please do not turn off your computer during the update.
Choosing Snooze will postpone the update for 3 days. Multiple snoozes are allowed, but not recommended.
After the update
Upon logging in, you will see a screen that says “Getting things ready, this won't take long” for a few minutes before your desktop loads. You may need to reconnect to the BC network after the update.
- Wired Internet: Unplug the Ethernet cord from your computer and re-plug it in. Click Connect if prompted.
- Wireless Internet: Re-connect to “eduroam.” Learn how at bc.edu/getconnected.
- Contact your TC for more information and assistance.
- For more information, visit the BC Wiki page about this Microsoft Feature Update (sign-in to BC Wiki required).