Getting Started with Connected Backup Service
mac os x (lion, snow leopard, leopard)
Getting started is easy. The first time you use Connected Backup, you'll need to register, install Connected Backup software, and do a full backup of your computer. Note that the first backup may take several hours, since all the files in each User folder will be backed up. Subsequent backups will be automatic and will only back up information that is new or has changed since your last backup. Subsequent backups usually take 15 minutes or less.
To get started, follow the steps below:
- Part 1: Registering
- Part 2: Downloading and installing the backup software
- Part 3: Opening the backup software for the first time
- Part 4: Starting your first backup
Once you've backed up your computer, retrieving files is quick and easy. Learn how to retrieve files.
Need to reinstall? Go to the Account Management page to download the backup software.
To register for the Connected Backup service:
- Go to Connected Backup's web page: Standard registration page | Multi-media registration page
- If a security alert appears, click Yes.
- On the Account Management Welcome page, click Register and Download.
- Read the Service License Agreement and click Accept.
- On the Logon page, do the following:
- In the Network Logon ID box, enter your BC username.
- In the Network password box, enter your BC password.
- Click Continue.
You have now completed Part 1: Registration.
To download and install the backup software (Referred to by Connected Backup as the "agent"):
- After registering, click Download Software.
- Click Begin Download.
- Save the AgentSetup.mpkg file to your Desktop.
- If the installation does not start automatically, double-click AgentSetup.mpkg to run the installer.
- On the Connected Backup Agent Installer: Welcome window, click Continue.
- Read the Application License Agreement, click Continue and then click Agree.
- Click Install.
NOTE: Do not change the default installation location.
- When prompted, enter your Mac OS X username and password the click OK.
NOTE: You must have administrative rights to your computer to install this software.
- When the installation is completed, click Close.
The Connected Backup software (agent) starts automatically.
You have now completed Part 2: Downloading and installing the backup software.
To open the backup software for the first time:
- The Connected Backup software (agent) starts automatically after installing the backup software. When prompted, enter your BC password and click OK.
The following message appears while your account is being prepared for backup at the Autonomy Data Center (see Figure 1).
- Click Close.
- The Connected Backup/Agent software scans your computer to select files to be backed up (see Figure 2). This may take a while, depending on the number of files you have on your system.
Important: By default, all the Users folders are backed up. If you store files outside the Users folders you need to select them for backup. Backup of the Applications, Library, and Systems folders are not supported.
- Delete the AgentSetup.mpkg file from your Desktop.
You have now completed Part 3: Opening the backup software for the first time.
Your first backup may take several hours to complete! Make sure to clear a block of time convenient for you to not have access to your computer, for instance at the end of the day.
- Make sure you are connected to the BC network using a wired connection. Backing up over a dial-up connection is not supported.
- Open the Connected Backup software by double-clicking the Connected Backup icon in Applications > Autonomy > Connected Backup.
- When the agent is done scanning, click Back Up Now to start the backup process.
Note: You may close the agent during the backup process
Your files have been backed up. From now on, your computer will be backed up automatically every day at a random time. If your computer is turned off during this scheduled time, it will be backed up the next time your computer is turned on.
- To view the results of the backup, click the History tab.
TIP: For easy access, add the Connected Backup to the Dock. To this, while Connected Backup is running, right-click its icon in the Dock and choose Keep in Dock.
If you've ever lost a file, you'll appreciate the ease of retrieval Connected Backup provides. To retrieve files:
- From your desktop, use the Connected Backup software (PDF) [Note: To view Adobe Reader® (PDF) formatted files, download the free Adobe Reader.]
- From any location, open a web browser and go to Connected Backup's: Account Management page
IMPORTANT: To manage your account online, enter either your BC username or full BC email address (as listed in the online BC directory) in the Email Address box.