Getting Started with Connected Backup Service
Getting started is easy. The first time you use Connected Backup, you'll need to register, install Connected Backup software, and do a full backup of your computer. Because all of the files on your hard drive will be backed up, the first backup will take several hours. We recommend running the first backup at the end of the day. Subsequent backups will be automatic and will only back up information that is new or has changed since your last backup.
To get started, follow the steps below:
Print these instructions before beginning.
- Part 1: Registering
- Part 2: Downloading and installing the backup software
- Part 3: Opening the backup software for the first time
- Part 4: Starting your first backup
Once you've backed up your computer, retrieving files is quick and easy. Learn how to retrieve files.
Need to reinstall? Learn how to reinstall the backup software.
Need help? If you need help, call the Help Center at 617-552-HELP (2-HELP from on-campus).
To register for Connected Backup service:
- Go to Connected Backup's web page: Standard registration page | Multi-media registration page
- If a security alert appears, click Yes.
- On the Account Management Welcome page, click Register and Download.
- Read the Service License Agreement and click Accept.
- On the Logon page:
- In the Network Logon ID box, enter your BC username.
- In the Network password box, enter your BC password.
- Click Continue.
You have now completed Part 1: Registration.
Trouble logging in? Learn more.
To download and install the backup software (Referred to by Connected Backup as the "agent"):
- After registering, click Download Software.
- Click Begin Download.
- Save the AgentSetup.msi file to your Desktop.
- When the download completes, click Open to run the installer.
NOTE: If you've used a different browser, double-click the AgentSetup.msi file to install it
- On the Connected Backup/PC Agent Installer: Welcome window, click Next.
- Read the Application License Agreement, click Accept terms in license agreement and then click Next.
- Click Next.
IMPORTANT: Do not change the default installation location.
- When the installation is completed, click Finish.
The Connected Backup software (agent) starts automatically.
You have now completed Part 2: Downloading and installing the backup software.
To open the backup software for the first time:
- The Connected Backup software (agent) starts automatically after installing the backup software. When prompted, enter your BC password and click OK.
- If you want to view information about using the software agent for the first time, click Help.
- Click Close.
- The Connected Backup/PC Agent software scans your computer to select files to be backed up (see Figure 2).
- Delete the AgentSetup.msi file from your Desktop.
You have now completed Part 3: Opening the backup software for the first time.
Part 4: Starting your first backup
Your first backup may take several hours to complete! Make sure to clear a block of time convenient for you to not have access to your computer, for instance at the end of the day.
To start your first backup:
- Make sure you are connected to the BC network using a wired connection. Do not use the wireless network or dial-up to do your backup.
- Open the Connected Backup/PC Agent software by double-clicking the Connected BackupPC icon on your desktop.
- Click Backup Now
Your first backup can take several hours to complete, depending on the number of files in your backup set and the connection speed on the network. Subsequent backups are smaller and faster because the Agent backs up only new files and changes to previously backed-up files.
NOTE: You can close the Agent software while a backup is in progress.
Your files have been backed up. From now on, your computer will be backed up automatically every day at a random time. If your computer is turned off during this scheduled time, it will be backed up the next time your computer is turned on.
NOTE: To view the results of the backup, click the Summary or History tab.
If you've ever lost a file, you'll appreciate the ease of retrieval Connected Backup provides. To retrieve files:
- From your desktop, use the Connected Backup/PC Agent software (PDF) [Note: To view Adobe Reader® (PDF) formatted files, download the free Adobe Reader.]
- From any location, use a supported web browser to go to: Connected Backup's Account Management page.
Important Login Information: To manage your account online, enter either your BC username or full BC email address (as listed in the BC directory) in the Email Address box.