For the Entire BC Community
Faculty, staff, and students have an unlimited amount of space to store files across Gmail, Google Drive, and Google + photos.
- To access BC Google Apps, go to g.bc.edu.
- Storing confidential data? Read the best practices related to data security and Google Drive.
- Learn more about BC Google Apps.
The easiest way to backup your data is using an online service that will do it automatically for you. BC offers all faculty and staff the Connected Backup service (formerly Iron Mountain). There are many commercial automatic backup services available for students online. To find one, search for: 'online backup services'
Store files or backup your data. Drives used for backup should be stored at a separate location.
- Capacity: External hard drives are available in many sizes.
- Requirements: Requires scheduling or frequent user intervention for up-to-date backups.
- Benefits: Can expand the storage available on your computer and can backup your entire computer, including the operating system, applications, preferences, and configuration files.
Store, transport, or backup your files/data. Capacities vary. USB devices used for backup should be stored at a separate location. Invest in a keychain-sized memory stick available at the BC Bookstore or an online store like Amazon.com or CDWG.com.
- Capacity: Portable USB devices are available in many sizes.
- Requirements: Works with both Mac and Windows. Requires an available USB port.
- Benefits: Very small and portable. Memory sticks and flash drives can be reused many times.
MyFiles@bc (Retiring December 2015)
Store files/data or share select files on a secure website that is backed up nightly. MyFiles@bc is a file storage, file sharing, web-based service provided by ITS to all BC faculty, staff, and students. It can also be used as a place to backup files.
- Capacity: 1 GB for Faculty and Staff (more available upon request), 100 MB for Students.
- Requirements: Available for Mac and Windows.
- Benefits: Files are stored on a secure server that is backed up nightly. MyFiles@bc is platform independent and can be accessed using a web browser.