Sending a Voicemail Message to a Department
It is easy to send a message to all employees in your department who have a personal voicemail box. You do not need to build a distribution list and maintain it because automated procedures rebuild departmental distribution lists nightly. Thus, your department list is always up to date. At this time, however, BC does not require that all employees have a personal voicemail account. Therefore, only those individuals with a personal voicemail box will receive your message. It is important to note that some department "group" voicemail boxes exist which are not affiliated with a particular individual. These "group" mailboxes are not included in distribution lists that are created.
To send the message
- Login to your voicemail box as you normally do. (i.e. Dial 2-4006 and enter your mailbox number and password (PIN#) when prompted.)
- From the main menu, select option 5, which is "Call Handling".
- From the Call Handling menu, select option 6, which is "Boston College Distribution Lists".
- From the Boston College Distribution Lists menu, select option 1, which is "Employees in a department".
- Set the appropriate selection scope:
- 1=Select all employees in a particular department and in all departments which report to it, or
- 2=Select all employees in a particular department only.
The basic rule which governs authorization of access to these departmental distribution lists will help to prevent frivolous use of the service. The rule is that any employee can send a message to his/her own departmental unit and to any departmental unit below his/her department within the same branch of the university hierarchy. Examples of this are as follows:
- A Student Accounts representative can send a message to the Student Account Office.
- The Controller can send a message to the Student Account Office.
- The Dean of A&S cannot send a message to the Student Accounts Office
- An Accounts/Payable representative cannot sent a message to the Student Accounts Office. Both units report to the Controller, but Student Accounts does not report to Accounts Payable, so this is not allowed.
- Enter the six digit department number followed by the pound (#) key.
- At this point, verification takes place. The system checks to see that there is indeed a department for the six digit number that you entered and it determines whether or not you are authorized to send a message to the department(s).
- If you are authorized to send a message to the list, the system will tell you how many recipients are in the list, and will then prompt you to record your message. At the tone, record your message and press the pound key (#) to stop. Don't worry if you don't like the message you have recorded. When you press the pound key to stop recording, you will get a menu of choices:
- 1 = Review the message you have recorded
- 2 = Send the message
- 4 = Re-record the message
- 7 = Cancel the message altogether
- Once you have sent the message, you will be given the option to send the same message to another department list. This allows you to send the exact same recorded message to multiple departments, if you so choose.
- You're done. You may hang up.