Google Apps and Accessibility
Boston College is committed to ensuring all members of the community, including individuals with disabilities, are able to engage with University technological resources. Guided by that principle, the Student Email Committee determined Google Apps for Education would provide an improved email experience for all students.
Google has demonstrated a commitment to ensuring Google Apps for Education is accessible to the visually impaired, and is developing and improving its products accordingly. The Boston College Universal Design for Learning (UDL) Advisory Committee and Task Force (bc.edu/udl) has been working with Google to ensure this commitment continues.
What You Need to Know
When using BC Google Apps for Education, we ask you to be mindful of the following:
- Use of Gmail and Google Apps for Education is not required.
- Students may access their BC Email account using the Gmail web interface or a client like Outlook or Apple Mail, which may offer greater interoperability with assistive technology.
Suggested Guidelines for the Visually Impaired
Google Apps offers a number of accessibility features, including keyboard shortcuts and screen reader support. Google products, including accessibility-related features, are updated and enhanced regularly. For the most up-to-date information regarding the use of screen readers and keyboard shortcuts with Google Apps for Edu, see the links below. Please note: Configuring a third-party application for Gmail (e.g., Outlook or Apple Mail) and Calendar (e.g., Outlook or iCal) may provide the best experience for visually impaired users.
||Getting started using Google Docs with a screen reader|
Need help? The following resources are available to assist you.
Learn more from Google
- Google Apps for Edu and Accessibility
- Administrator Guide to Accessibility(PDF) [Please note: These files are Adobe Reader® (PDF) formatted files. To view them, you will need to download the free Adobe Reader.]
- Google accessibility twitter feed: twitter.com/googleaccess
Additional BC Resources