What is the Green Zone?
A Blood Alcohol Concentration lower than .05
How do I calculate my Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC)?
- Stop by the Office of Health Promotion (located in Gasson 025) to pick up a wallet-sized BAC chart, specific to your weight and gender
Strategies for Staying in the Green Zone®?
Set a limit of lower than .05
Space your drinks over time
Keep track by counting standard drinks*
Eat before and while you are drinking
Alternate alcohol and non-alcohol drinks
Mix and measure your own drinks
Avoid drinking games
Avoid mixing alcohol with energy drinks
*Standard Drink = 12 oz. of beer, 5 oz. of wine, 1.5 oz. of liquor
Factors that influence BAC include:
- the amount of alcohol a drinker consumes
- the rate at which a person drinks
- the drinker’s weight
- gender -women have less of the enzyme that metabolizes alcohol in their stomachs, on average they weigh less and they have less blood volume than men do, even at equal weight
- the amount of food in the stomach – a full stomach slows the pace at which alcohol is absorbed, however, eating before drinking will not prevent high blood alcohol concentrations from occurring
Through exposure to the Stay in Your Green Zone campaign, students will be able to define the “green zone” (a blood alcohol concentration of lower than .06). Students will be aware of strategies for making low-risk choices about alcohol. Our hope is that with this information, students who choose to drink will avoid high-risk choices and make decisions about alcohol that will keep them safe and free of negative consequences.
Stay In Your Green Zone® and Like us on Facebook.
Follow us on Twitter, too!
ReThink Your Drink Week: Stay In Your Green Zone®
What is the Green Zone®?
Click the video below to learn more about the campaign.
How Do You Stay In Your Green Zone®?
Click below to hear BC students give their personal strategies.
If you are concerned that another student may have had too much to drink, review the following information and please call for help:
617-552-3227 (Health Services) or 617-552-4444 (BCPD)
Stay in Your Green Zone®, Green Zone®, and iDrinkSmarter® are registered trademarks of BACZONE Ltd. www.baczone.com All Rights Reserved.