Laughter can have considerable benefits on college students and may be just what you need in order to get through stressful situations. Find out easy ways you can BSilly this year with fun activities and events right here on campus.
Smiling, laughing, and being optimistic can lower stress levels significantly. BSilly this year for a stress-free college experience!
Benefits of Laughter
- Relieves stress
- Relaxes muscles
- Improves overall mood
- Enhances resilience
- Strengthens relationships
- Helps to defuse conflict
Feeling overwhelmed? Schedule an appointment with the Office of Health Promotion for your Individual Health Plan (iHP).
Remaining positive during stressful situations can be difficult, however, being optimistic can give you the focus needed to develop useful solutions to your perceived problems. Here are some steps to achieve a more positive outlook on your experiences.
- Create a list of areas in your life that you typically think negatively about. These may include academic performance, living arrangements, eating habits, etc.
- Pick one of those areas and identify specific things that have gone well. For example. If you chose academic performance, think about what has benefited your academic performance, whether it is attending your classes everyday or going to office hours to meet with your professors.
- Positively affirm your ability to improve your situation. Acknowledging your past efforts and finding the motivation to make positive changes will put you in the right mindset to turn your negatives into positives.
- Seek humor in your past pitfalls. Laugh, smile, and spend time with people who allow you to do both.
- Sign up for an Individual Health Plan (iHP) with the Office of Health Promotion to receive your personal stress-reduction action plan.
- Get out! Look for upcoming events on MyBC, Nights on the Heights, and UGBC sites.
- Or stay in... Go to your Resident Assistant's floor programs.
- Join an organization that connects you with people you enjoy spending time with.
- Rent a movie or video game from the O'Connell House or O'Neill Media Center.
- Be a true SuperFan. Support your fellow Eagles at BC sporting events.
- Put a smile on your face! You have something to be thankful for.
- Don't be a "Debbie Downer." Hang out with those who make life more enjoyable.
- Establish a light sense of humor to alleviate stressful situations.