gsa-sponsored funding opportunities for bc graduate students
PLEASE NOTE: GSA Funding Application Process has changed as of AUGUST 1, 2014
Please carefully review the policies and guidelines as things may have changed.
The GSA Indivdual Research/Conference Grants (IRCG) was established to assist Boston College graduate students in attending and participating in professional conferences pertaining to their field of study. Conference attendance plays an important role in academic growth and development by providing the opportunity for training, networking, and exposure to the latest research.
GSA financial support is limited and is distributed for student travel that is deemed to make the best use of this limited funding. The funding determination is made by the GSA Executive Board.
Please be aware of these deadlines and plan ahead! Funding must be requested PRIOR to your conference attendance or conducting research or group event.
What is GSA Funding and how can it be used?
- The Individual Conference Grant is to support and facilitate graduate and professional student research initiatives and professional formation through attendance of professional conferences.
- The Individual Research Grant is modeled after the Research Expense Grant program for university faculty, and is designed to help offset the costs associated with scholarly research and conference attendance that is not directly funded by other agencies, schools/departments within the university, or grants to advising faculty members.
- The group grant is designed to help fund projects and programs that benefit a wide variety of graduate and professional students (as opposed to supporting the work of just one)
How do I qualify for GSA Funding through an Individual Grant?
- You must be a current full-time or part-time Boston College graduate student seeking financial support for the cost associated with attending a professional conference. This cost may include airfare, transportation, lodging or conference registration.
- Please note the GSA is no longer reimbursing graduate students for food purchases. Due to increase of cost of conference request we are hoping to best utilize the funds for airfare, transportation, and lodging.
- GSA funds will only be applied to cover conference- related travel expenses. If the GSA Funding Selection Committee approves the student for an amount greater than the amount of the student’s original receipts total, the balance will remain with the GSA, and will not be distributed to the student. (Example: If the student is approved for $100.00 of GSA funding, but only spends $80.00 at the conference, only $80.00 will be provided to the student, and the GSA will retain the other $20.00.)
- If awarded GSA funding, the amount granted to the student for his/her conference travel will vary between $50.00 to $125.00 per student per fiscal year. Group grants may be awarded up to $500.
What is the application process for the Individual Research/Conference Grant?
- Fill out the online form by following this link. You must be logged into your BC email to access the link. Applications must be received by the appropriate application deadline. PLEASE NOTE THE APPLICATION DEADLINES COME WELL BEFORE THE DATES OF THE ACTUAL CONFERENCE. These are based on when you will be ATTENDING the conference. Be aware that you must be very specific as to what expenses you would like to be reimbursed.
- Please make sure to have your faculty member give approval of your application by having them fill out this link.
How does my group qualify for a Group Grant?
- A group of graduate students may qualify for a Group Grant if they are planning to hold a program with a social or academic focus that aims to benefit the BC community in some manner.
- Read more about Group Grants here.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION DATES DEADLINES 2015-16
|Semester||Dates Attending/Presenting Conference or Conducting Research
||Deadline Date to Apply||Notify of Status By||Reciepts Due By
|Fall||September 1, 2015 - December 14, 2015||October 1, 2015||October 15, 2015||December 16, 2015|
||December 15, 2015 - Feb 27, 2016
||December 1, 2015||December 15, 2015||March 10, 2016|
|Spring II||March 2, 2016 - May 1, 2016||February 1, 2016||February 15, 2016||May 5, 2016|
|Summer||May 4, 2016 - August 28, 2016||April 30, 2016||May 15, 2016||September 1, 2016|