Student Employment Opportunities
Department of Event Management
Conference and Event Coordinator Internship - Summer 2018
Conference Coordinators will be responsible for the successful planning and completion of various events on the Boston College Campus for Summer 2018. As a member of the BC community, interns are expected to demonstrate a professional attitude at all times and maintain an amiable and helpful presence with the clients and the fulltime team members from the Office of Event Management. Interns will work regularly with both external and internal clients to communicate any logistical adjustments, handle potential problems, and assist on-site for positive completion of all on-campus events. The Event Management Office is open 7 days a week. Interns will be scheduled 5 out of 7 days a week, with an 8 hour workday including an hour lunch break. Depending on event coverage, some days might require early starts or late finishes.
Assist in event coordination from the initial client contact to final closing and invoicing of the event.
- Use EBMS Event Software system to coordinate events accordance to the clients’ needs and budgets. This requires thorough understanding of event work orders and catering details.
- Manage all communication with event contacts, which includes the internal clients, external clients, and their on-campus sponsors. Communicate any necessary information or changes to the office administrators and supervisors. Attend client meetings as needed.
- Check in on-site before each event to ensure proper setup, catering, A/V, and rental equipment delivery. Remain on-call during work hours to assist in problem resolution if needed.
- Use Microsoft Visio to develop floor plans and setup instructions for events.
- Work with external contractors to order rental furniture and communicate delivery, setup, and pickup needs.
- Work with Media Technology Services to order Audio/Visual and other technological needs for each event.
- Coordinate guest lodging with the Office of Residential Life.
- Organize files and past event records in the EBMS System.
- Other duties as assigned.
DESIRED PERSONAL SKILLS:
- Strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Comfort and professionalism on the phone and during face-to-face meetings with clients and on-campus staff.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to ask questions and seek advice from coworkers and supervisors.
- Proactive problem-solving nature and a willingness to take on challenges as they arise.
- Passion for the Boston College community and the University Mission.
- Ability to lift approximately 20-50 lbs.
DESIRED COMPUTER SKILLS:
- Experienced use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Windows operating system.
- Some experience with Microsoft Visio or other drafting programs.
- Will be expected to master the EBMS Reservation System in a timely manner.
- On-campus housing provided for duration of employment.
- One meal provided per 8-hour shift.
Please email a copy of your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Summer Employment" listed in the subject line. Please also include your dates of availability between June 4th and August 17th, 2018.
Applications will be accepted until February 1, 2018.