boston college career center
A career portfolio offers a visual demonstration of your skills, accomplishments, and experiences. It’s a great way to augment your more traditional cover letter and resume.
Contents of a Career Portfolio
Your portfolio should contain samples of your best work, such as reports, papers, studies, brochures, project descriptions, and presentations.
You may also include some of the following:
- Your career summary and goals
- Summaries of research projects and publications
- Testimonials, letters of recommendations, and copies of thank-you letters you’ve received
- Details of professional development activities
- Volunteering and community service
- References list
Formatting Your Career Portfolio
Keep your materials in a professional three-ring binder, with or without a zipper closure, and include a table of contents and section dividers.
In addition to print samples, you may also include CD-ROMs, videos, and other multimedia formats.
Depending on your skills and your intended career field, you may wish to create a web site with the complete contents of your portfolio.