Explore Majors & Careers
boston college career center
As you consider potential career paths, spend some time reflecting on your interests and goals before launching a job search. The Career Center at Boston College can help. We offer a variety of resources to help you assess your strengths, choose a major, and learn more about careers that you find interesting.
Your choice of major should align with your interests.
Liberal arts graduates from BC find excellent jobs in a variety of fields because they have the flexible skills required to succeed in many different environments.
You’re more likely to succeed in a major (and career) that you enjoy.
Choose a major based on your interests, and keep in mind that there is no way to predict what the job market will look like after you graduate. If you’re not sure about your academic interests, check out our self-assessment tools.
However, some careers do require specific preparation. If you have a clear goal in mind, you may want to take certain classes outside your major, for example in business or computer science.
If you’re having trouble choosing a major, meet with a member of the Career Exploration team. Meanwhile, here are some resources that can also help:
The BC Career Center can support you in many ways as you identify and explore careers that are a good fit with your interests, skills, and values. Here’s how to get started:
DO YOUR RESEARCH
There are many resources available to help you with your research on career options:
To explore what options are available to you based on your major or industry interests, take a look at our Exploring Careers by Major/Industry resources.
Once you have narrowed down your interests,
- take advantage of your free access to Vault’s Career Insider, a collection of guides to career fields and companies.
- access BC's Career Resource Library for an extensive collection of resources that can help you explore various jobs and career paths.
- customize your CareerEdge alerts to receive information about your areas of interest.
NETWORK AND CONNECT
- Talk to professionals in fields that interest you to learn more about career options.
- Join the Boston College Career Community group on LinkedIn to connect with alumni interested in providing you with career advice and guidance.
- Attend Career Center panels, networking events and off-campus events to meet alumni and other professionals in your fields of interest.
- Learn more about networking here
GET SOME EXPERIENCE
Based on your research, take on an internship, externship or volunteer work in a field that interests you. You will learn the realities of the specific job, type of work, and if these truly appeal to you by being in the work environment.
Think about your experience to figure out what you liked (and didn't) about the work environment, career field, and type of work, which will help you make career decisions.