Bike Carefully at Boston College
In the Spring of 2012, the Boston College Police Department partnered up with the BC Bookstore and local bike shops to launch a new initiative called Bike Carefully at Boston College. The objective of this new program was to promote bike safety and awareness for those who ride bikes on and around campus.
In doing so, the BC Bookstore began carrying bike safety equipment at its McElroy Bookstore.
- Protect your head. Wear a helmet.
- Assure bicycle readiness. Ensure proper size and function of your bike.
- Ride wisely. Learn and follow the rules of the road.
- Be predictable. Act like a driver of a vehicle.
- Be visible. See and be seen at all times.
- "Drive" with care. Share the road.
- Stay focused. Stay alert.
- Make sure front and rear lights are visible for up to at least 600 feet, and are used 1/2 hour before sunrise and 1/2 hour after sunset.
- Always use an authorized bike stand on campus, and never leave your bike unlocked. A rope style or U-Lock are the best for securing your bike.
- Take advantage of the BCPD Bike Registration.
- If you bike is ever stolen, report it to the BC Police.
Did you know..
according to Massachusetts General Law Chapter 85, Subsection 11B the following are required for biking:
- Bike Seat
- White Headlamp
- Rear Red Reflector or Taillight
- Pedal or Ankle Reflectors
- Braking System
- Front Forks