Information for Chairs and Deans: Research Expense Grants
office of the provost and dean of faculties
The person named on the evaluation form has applied for a Research Expense Grant. Research Expense Grants are designed to help facilitate faculty research. By their nature and size they help to defray the smaller expenses of doing scholarly research. The maximum grant is $2,000. Requests require assessment by the appropriate department chairpersons and/or the deans.
- Faculty members are required to submit their Research Expense Grant application using an online form.
- Once the faculty member has submitted their online application, the Internal Grants Manager will create a Google Drive Folder with all applications submitted by your school or department.
- The Internal Grants Manager will send you a notification email when applications are complete and ready for review.
- Please use the spreadsheet provided in the Google Drive Folder to rank each application with the highest rank being #1.
- All Winter/Spring rankings must be completed by:
- Chairpersons: October 6, 2017
- Deans: October 13, 2017
- All Summer/Fall rankings must be completed by:
- Chairpersons: April 6, 2018
- Deans: April 13, 2018
Please note: This method of evaluation is intended to lead the reviewer to consider applications not only on the basis of the individual merit of each, but also in relation to the merit of others under review.
The University Research Council will judge applications by the following criteria:
- Quality of the applicant's work, or the promise of quality;
- Likelihood that the proposed study will produce significant results, or assist in bringing an existing project of importance to a successful conclusion, or relate to preliminary investigators that have potential for later obtaining extramural support;
- Conception, definition, and organization of the applicant's proposal;
- Likelihood that the applicant will complete the work proposed;
- Relation of the proposed project to the applicant's overall research goals.