Research Expense Grants
for chairs and deans
Information for Chairs and Deans
The person named on the Evaluation form has applied to the University for a Research Expense Grant to carry out the study described on the enclosed application. Research Expense Grants are designed to help facilitate the conduct of faculty research. By their nature and size they help to defray the smaller expenses of doing scholarly research. The maximum grant is $2,000. Requests require assessment by the appropriate department chairpersons in Arts and Sciences and the School of Management or the dean of all other schools. Please use the space provided on the attached form to evaluate the proposed project and the appropriateness of its budget. You are also asked to please rank the applications being submitted in this competition from your department or school, with the highest rank being #1.
The University Research Council will judge applications by the following criteria:
- Quality of the applicant's work, or the promise of quality;
- Likelihood that the proposed study will produce significant results, or assist in bringing an existing project of importance to a successful conclusion, or relate to preliminary investigators that have potential for later obtaining extramural support;
- Conception, definition, and organization of the applicant's proposal;
- Likelihood that the applicant will complete the work proposed;
- Relation of the proposed project to the applicant's overall research goals.