Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission Program
The purpose of the Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center (BAIC) Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission service is to provide undergraduate Boston College students with the additional resources they need to study abroad. This services covers the cost of tuition only, and is granted based on the following: Your academic transcript, application, compelling essays, utilization of BAIC programs and services (such as college counseling), and a shown attempt, or receipt, of additional funding to attend summer study abroad. For additional information, please look at the frequently asked questions below.
Lastly, Summer Tuition Remission is one of our most popular services. Our office receives over 150 applications and we are not always able to help those who are truly in need due to limited funding. Please take this information into consideration when you apply, particularly if and when you receive your award. Please follow all instructions in the application material. Incomplete or printed applications will not be accepted.
Instructions to Complete Application
- Please complete application online via MyBC
- If a question does not apply to you, write N/A (meaning “Not Applicable”) next to the question
- Please DO NOT call for results. Results will be sent via e-mail, Tuesday, February 17, 2015 by 5 p.m.
- Completed Applications Must Be Submitted by Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 5 p.m.
Completed Applications must include the following:
- Completed application, (incomplete applications will not be considered). Printed paper applications will not be accepted.
- Your most recent unofficial transcript, degree audits will not be accepted. This can be mailed via agora or dropped off. If you choose to mail, fax, e-mail, or drop off your unofficial transcript please address it to:
Attention: Mrs. Rosaleah Brown Gresham
Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02169
Application Process Information
- Results are sent via e-mail
- Once you received your results, the funding will be added to your student account by July 2015 for Summer Session 1 and September 2015 for Summer Session 2.
- Course(s): The number that corresponds to “Course(s)” indicates that number of courses you have been granted.
- See Counselor: If you have “See College Counselor” next to your Eagle #, you have to see your counselor no later than Friday, January 30th This could mean that more information is required of you in order to finalize the decision. It could also mean your advisor wants to see you to provide you with further instructions. Call the office at 617-552-3358 or call your College Counselor directly to make the appointment immediately.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible during the summer?
Awards will be distributed to juniors first, followed by sophomores, then first year students. Awards will be based on the criteria below:
- Compelling essays;
- Students who demonstrate that they have utilized the support services of the Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center through its mentoring program and counseling services (e.g., meeting with the BAIC counselor at least three times each semester); and
- Students who have applied and/or received additional funding for summer study abroad.
Is there a contractual agreement?
No, but Study abroad summer courses are granted with the understanding that you will successfully complete the course with a grade of C, or better. Students who have received summer tuition in the past, who did not receive a C or better, or who withdrew from a course without notifying an BAIC staff member, may not be considered
How do I apply to the BAIC Summer Tuition Remission Program?
- To apply, you must submit an application online through MyBC and a copy of your most recent unofficial transcript (not a degree audit)
Where can I get an application?
When is the application deadline?
- Thursday, February 5, 2015
When will I find out if I have been awarded Study Abroad Summer Tuition Remission?
- Tuesday, February 17, 2015 by 5 p.m.
What is the maximum number of courses that are allowed?
- A maximum of ONE study abroad course is allowed for the summer
Who will make the decision?
- A committee consisting of the staff in the Thea Bowman AHANA and Intercultural Center will make the decisions
Can I receive aid for housing and meals?
- No. Our Study Abroad Tuition Remission Program covers ONLY the class tuition portion needed to study abroad
Are there penalties involved?
- OIP Penalty: Yes. If you do not withdraw by the March 31st deadline for OIP, you will have to pay the $500 fee
- BAIC Penalty: Yes. If you do not return your grant by March 31st you will not be eligible for STR in the future
If I am awarded what are the next steps?
- Please make sure you are still able to study abroad. This means that you have enough funding and that your program has not been closed.
- Awardees are required to complete a cultural comptency training provided by the Campus of Difference
Is there a waitlist?
- There is no waitlist
If I am not awarded can I apply for On-Campus Summer Tuition Remission?
- Yes! The On-Campus Summer Tuition Remission application will be available in late December/early January.
- The application deadline for OIP is February 5, 2015
- Information about Studying Abroad can be found at http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/international.html