Skip to main content

Submit to eTD@BC

electronic theses and dissertations

Decisions to Make before Submission

Do you want Open Access?

You have the option to provide Open Access to your work at no extra charge through Boston College's website.

By choosing to participate in Open Access, your electronic thesis or dissertation will be made available online for free at eScholarship@BC, Boston College's institutional repository. This will make your ETD more accessible to the general public and will increase the visibility of your scholarly work online. At the same time, you—as the author—retain copyright.

This optional service is distinct from your required deposit in ProQuest, a subscription-based database with limited access. If you wish to agree to Open Access, please accept the Boston College license agreement included in the ProQuest submission under "Institutional Repository (IR) Publishing Options."

Please be aware that you can both agree to Open Access AND choose an embargo period, during which time the full text of your ETD will not be available on eScholarship@BC and ProQuest, thereby allowing yourself time to explore publishing possibilities, complete patent applications, etc. For further questions about Open Access and embargoes, see Frequently Asked Questions.

Do you want to offer your work to users under a Creative Commons license?

If you choose the Open Access option to deposit your work in eScholarship@BC, you will also be offered the option to apply a Creative Commons license to your work. As the copyright holder, you have the option to reserve all rights (users can make use of your work for individual study and research and can reuse fair use portions of the work). Creative Commons licenses allow you to define broader reuse rights in advance without requiring users to ask for permission.

If you do not choose Open Access, the Creative Commons licenses will not appear as a choice. If you choose Open Access you may decline the Creative Commons option or choose to apply one of six Creative Commons licenses. There is no fee to use these licenses.

The six licenses grant different levels of reuse rights, and can be viewed in advance here in order to make your decision.

 For more information about Creative Commons, see Frequently Asked Questions.

Do you want an embargo?

An embargo delays the online availability of the full text of an ETD. Embargoes are typically requested when:

  • • a dissertation is being submitted to a publisher that proscribes prior disclosure;
  • • a patent application is going to be filed;
  • • there is a need to protect proprietary information;
  • • or, there is a need to respect confidentiality.

Some graduate schools at Boston College have adopted embargo policies whereby a request for an extended embargo may require approval. Check with your school about individual policies. As of Fall Semester 2014, the following schools have embargo policies: GSAS, LSOE, GSSW, CSON.

Note: If you have an embargo and have agreed to the Open Access option, the full text of your ETD will be available online for free once the embargo period has expired. For further questions about Open Access and embargoes, see Frequently Asked Questions.

Do you want to allow search engine access on ProQuest?

Allowing search engine access simply allows other scholars to discover that your ETD is in the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Full Text database; they would be able to see its title, your name, and some descriptive information including the abstract. They would not be able to read its full text if it was under embargo.

Do you want ProQuest to register your copyright?

Registering your copyright is optional. Doing so will allow you to bring suit if your copyright is infringed. ProQuest will register your copyright for a fee (about $55), or you can do it yourself by completing the registration process described on the United States Copyright Office website and paying a fee of $35.


Click here to submit