Keep Singing: The Musical Legacy of Theodore Marier
On display in the Ford Tower, courtesty of the John J. Burns Library of Rare Books and Special Collections, October 1–October 31, 2012
Sponsored by Boston College University Libraries
Dr. Theodore N. Marier (†2001) graduated from Boston College in 1934, and stayed on to become director of the Musical Clubs and a lecturer on music until WWII. Also in 1934, he began his work at St. Paul’s Catholic Church, Harvard Square, which lasted for 50 years. His musical interest in the Catholic liturgy encompassed the organ, publishing, the schola cantorum, and polyphony, but always remained centered on Gregorian Chant, and the active participation of the congregation. This exhibit was timed to mark the centenary of his birth, Oct. 17, 1912, and looks in particular at his time at Boston College, using the newly digitized and indexed collection of the Boston College Heights.