Written plans for building evacuation that are compliant with federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations have been developed for all facilities at Boston College in the event of a fire or other emergency.
These plans are available in the Safety Contacts office for each department in academic/administrative buildings. Plans are also available in the Residential Hall Director’s office. Maps showing a means of egress can be found on the exit doors leading from each residential space and in hallways of other buildings. You should become familiar with these exit routes for any building you frequent.
In case of a fire or other emergency that requires all occupants to immediately leave a building or area, evacuation will be signaled by the internal building alarm or by the direction of emergency personnel. Please follow the directions below:
- Leave the building or area immediately through the nearest exit. Evacuation is REQUIRED when the alarm is sounding, for every individual in the building, whether student, faculty, staff or visitor.
- Do not use elevators during an evacuation.
- Exit in an orderly fashion. Do not run or push. Running can lead to falls and injuries.
- Gather at a designated meeting place or at a safe distance from the building or area, taking care not to block entrances and exits. Emergency personnel will need a clear path into and out of the building or area.
- Stay together. Assess who is present. Faculty members who were leading classes should gather names of students; supervisors should gather names of staff, residence hall directors should gather names of residents.
- Report the condition and location of any persons unable to leave the building or area or who need assistance to emergency personnel.
- Wait for the all-clear from emergency personnel before attempting to re-enter the building or area. If a fire or other incident makes a building or area unsafe to enter for a significant period of time, students,faculty, staff and/or visitors will be directed to a temporary shelter.
People with Disabilities:
During an evacuation, follow the same protocol outlined above. If you need assistance leaving a building or area, notify a co-worker, friend, roomate, etc. that you will wait by the nearest stairwell. Do not use an elevator during an evacuation. Also, call BC Police at 617-552-4444 from your cell phone and let the operator know of your exact location. Stay calm until help arrives.
For more information on preparing Students with Disabilities for evacuation.