The goal of the $uccessful Start program is to ensure that Boston College's students are financially literate for their lifetime by offering a series of workshops and seminars, led by Boston College employees and expert guest speakers, related to all aspects of personal financial management.
From the Director's Desk
- Hello and Happy Spring!
I love the idea of “March Madness” and applying it to our finances, especially as Spring Break is upon us. One potentially big financial leak is Spring Break. You are able to get a break from classes and school life, but let’s not let this break “break” our bank. Here’s a challenge: get a couple of friends together and challenge them to see who can have the most fun over break and come back with money still in their Spring Break budget. Then at the end of the semester you will have a little extra in your “entertainment” budget to go out with friends and family. Something to think about! Hope you have a great break and a very $uccessful semester.
$uccessful Start Director
Financial Literacy Focus: March "Spending" Madness
- It can be difficult to identify where you are overspending and even harder to actually cut spending. Likewise, saving can seem impossible, especially as a college student with limited income and many expenses. Luckily, there are plenty of easy ways to do both! Check out these helpful articles to help you curb your spending and increase your savings:
- Bank Rate: 5 Questions to Put Overspending in Check
- Divine Caroline: How to Outsmart Your Overspending Triggers
- The Simple Dollar: Trimming the Fat: 40 Ways to Reduce your Monthly Required Spending
- WiseBread: 8 Tips for Improving or Starting a Budget
- Mint: Build the Habit, Then Trick Yourself into Building Your Savings
Money Saving Smart App of the Month
This month’s money saving smart app comes from www.hellowallet.com. HelloWallet is the ultimate app for managing your expenses and growing your savings. It checks your account balances, transactions, and budget progress, categorizes your transactions automatically, and develops weekend spending guides for you automatically. It also helps you plan for the unexpected by alerting you when you go over in one of your budget categories and encouraging you to follow a savings plan; it even helps you find money the money to achieve your goal! HelloWallet also checks the latest consumer market research and makes recommendations for you based on your age, income, and spending behavior! Check out their website for more information.