The goal of the $uccessful Start program is to ensure that Boston College's students are financially literate for their lifetime by offering a series of workshops and seminars, led by Boston College employees and expert guest speakers, related to all aspects of personal financial management.
From the Director's Desk
Happy New Year,
The academic year is halfway over; it’s hard to believe it went by so fast! During this time of making resolutions I think of a friend’s husband who said, “Why do resolutions always have to be work? Why can’t they be fun? This year, my resolution is to eat more ice cream!” As we make our resolutions, let’s try to remember to have some fun (and saving money can be fun ;) ). May you all have a very healthy, safe, and happy New Year!
$uccessful Start Director
January 2013 Upcoming Workshops
- Tuesday, January 22, 4:30–6:00, Gasson Hall 100
How to File Your Own Taxes
Learn how to file your own federal tax return!
Presented by Jill Bertrand, Financial Aid Compliance and Training Office, Harvard University.
To RSVP for this workshop, click here!
- Wednesday, January 30, 12:30–2:00, Murray House
Eating Well on a Budget
Learn how to save money on groceries and slash your food bill each month!
Presented by Karen Wullaert, Graduate Assistant, and Laura Fallon, Work Study, $uccessful Start Financial Literacy Program.
**This workshop is co-sponsored by the Office of Graduate Student Life and is only open to BC graduate students. To RSVP for this workshop, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Financial Literacy Focus: New Year's Resolutions
- It’s hard to believe it’s already 2013! Every year, about 45% of Americans make New Year’s resolutions; of those people who make resolutions, about 34% of them make money-related resolutions (Journal of Clinical Psychology). Are you thinking of making a financial resolution? Do you want to save more money? Learn how to budget? Trying investing for the first time? Whatever your financial resolution, $uccessful Start is here to help! Check out our website for information on our Spring 2013 workshop offerings or set up an individual meeting with a Peer Money Mentor by emailing email@example.com. Not sure what your resolution should be? Check out these helpful articles and get started on improving your financial situation for 2013!
- U.S. News Money: 5 Financial New Year's Resolutions to Consider
- Daily Finance: 13 Financial New Year's Resolutions to Keep in 2013
- Forbes: 5 Ways to Make Your New Years Resolutions Stick
Money Saving Smart App of the Month
This month’s money saving smart app comes from www.thecouponsapp.com. The Coupons App helps you to save money at your favorite stores and restaurants. You can use it to save money whether you’re in your neighborhood or traveling! Check out their website for more information.