Schedule of General Meetings for all Retired Faculty
In 2012-2013 all BCARF General Meetings will be held on Thursdays from Noon to 1.45 P.M.in the first floor conference room at 3 Lake St. on the Brighton campus.
A light luncheon of sandwiches, accompaniments and beverages will be served.
The John Donovan Suite for Retired Faculty is on the third floor.
• Thursday, January 31, Noon-1:45 p.m. GENERAL MEETING
Thursday, January 31, 2013 , 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. First Floor Conference Room at 3 Lake Street, Brighton Campus. Light lunch will be provided. RSVP to email@example.com by January 28 for the purpose of ordering food.
(starting promptly at noon.)
Why Boston Needs a New Literary Trail - Presented by: Paul Lewis, PhD, Boston College, Professor of English
Join Paul Lewis for a virtual tour of literary Boston between the American Revolution and the Civil War. Along the way we’ll visit Boston's first professional theater on Federal Street, the birthplaces of Edgar Allan Poe and Ralph Waldo Emerson, the most important publisher of the American Renaissance, and a few of the magazines that came and went along Washington Street in those decades. Along with famous writers like Nathaniel Hawthorne and Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, we’ll encounter Judith Sargent Murray, America’s first great feminist, and Charles Sprague, the Banker-Poet of Boston.
• Wednesday, February 13, Noon-1:45 p.m. RESEARCH SEMINAR
Retired Faculty Research seminar with Sev Bruyn, “Evolution from the Big Bang.” Wed, Feb. 13. 12-1:45 PM, 3 Lake Street. Lunch will be provided.
Sev recommends going to his webpage https://www2.bc.edu/~bruyn/. On the right side of the page (down below) you will see the book title Evolution: A Novel Based in a Liberal Arts College. Since the novel is 1400 pages long covering each university department he suggests you click and scan the briefest version that is 142 pages without footnotes.
At the meeting Sev will hand out the shortest version (an outline of 9 pages) for you to follow in his talk.
If you wish to see the motivation for writing this book on Evolution, you can read the Preface: What's the Problem? in the book above. It's called "A Future for Higher Education in America".
• Thursday, February 14, 10:30-11:45 p.m. BOOK CLUB
"Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake" by Anna Quindlin
• Thursday, February 14, Noon-1:45 p.m. EXEC COMMITTEE MEETING
• Thursday, February 28, Noon-1:45 p.m. GENERAL MEETING
Ali Banuazizi, Director of Islamic Civilization and Society, Political Science Department.
"On Nukes, Sanctions, and the Drumbeats of War with Iran".
• Thursday, March 14, 10:30-11:45 a.m. BOOK CLUB
"In the Shadow of Gotham" by Stefanie Pintoff
• Thursday, March 14, Noon-1:45 p.m. EXEC COMMITTEE MEETING
• Wednesday, March 20, Noon-1:45 p.m. RESEARCH SEMINAR
Dwayne Carpenter, "Tales from the (Manu)Script: A Newly Discovered Anti-Jewish Text from Medieval Spain."
• Thursday, March 21, Noon-1:45 p.m. GENERAL MEETING
Peter Ireland, Professor, Murray & Monti Chair in Economics, Economics Department.
"The U.S. Economy: Where Are We Going, Where Have we Been?"
• Thursday, April 11, 10:30-11:45 a.m. BOOK CLUB
To be selected.
• Thursday, April 11 Noon-1:45 p.m. EXEC COMMITTEE MEETING
• Wednesday, April 24, Noon-1:45 p.m. RESEARCH SEMINAR
“David Northrup, “Who made English the Global Language?"
• Thursday, April 25, Noon-1:45 p.m. GENERAL MEETING
John Baldovin S.J., Professor of Historical & Liturgical Theology, Boston College School of Theology & Ministry.
"Catholicism and the Challenges of Contemporary Society".
• Thursday, May 2, 10:30-11:45 a.m. BOOK CLUB
To be selected.
• Thursday, May 2, Noon-1:45 p.m. EXEC COMMITTEE MEETING
• Thursday, May 16, Noon-1:45 p.m. GENERAL MEETING
Jeffery Howe, Professor and Chair, Fine Arts Department
"A New Era of Museums and Exhibitions in 21st Century Boston".
• Wednesday, May 22, ANNUAL BANQUET 5:30 PM in the Murray Conference Room on the 4th floor of the Yawkey Athletic Center
• Thursday, May 30, Noon-1:45 p.m. TRANSITION MEETING
Guided Museum Tours
Honorary member and McMullen Art Museum docent Peg Dwyer leads members on informative tours of each new exhibit at the University’s McMullen Art Museum. Contact : Peg Dwyer
Annual Year-end Banquet
SAVE THE DATE.
The annual year-end Retired Faculty Banquet is scheduled for Wednesday evening, May 22, 2013.
Come for a fabulous dinner, awards, welcoming of newly retired faculty and an all around great time.
5:30 PM Cocktails, 6:30 PM Dinner
Murray Conference Room on the 4th Floor of the Yawkey Athletic Center.