Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University (Berkeley Campus)
Director of Ministerial Formatio
The Jesuit School of Theology (JST) is seeking to fill the position of Director of Ministerial Formation, beginning in academic year 2013-2014. Located in Berkeley, JST is committed to collaborative approaches to ministry and the culturally contextualized study of theology. The Director will collaborate with a team that includes the Director of the Master of Divinity (M.Div.) program, the Director of Spiritual Formation, the Rector of the Jesuit Community and the Assistant Dean of Students.
The Director’s primary responsibilities will be to design, implement and evaluate programs for ministerial development and pastoral competency, especially for students enrolled in JST’s three-year M.Div. program. The Director will possess deep familiarity with the Roman Catholic tradition and practices, and will serve as a member of the ecclesiastical faculty. Areas of focus will include human, pastoral and spiritual formation, with an emphasis on integrating these aspects with the intellectual and academic dimension of the individual student’s experience and aspirations.
The successful applicant for this position will have a strong background in pastoral theology and practice, Ignatian spirituality, and group facilitation. Other qualifications include supervisory experience, ministry in intercultural contexts, work with adult learners, and a commitment to ministerial excellence of lay ministers and future priests. The M.Div. or its equivalent is required; M.Div. or its equivalent with other advanced or interdisciplinary degrees preferred.
Responsibilities of this leadership position include:
1. Facilitating the Integration Seminars associated with the M.Div. Program (see the school’s website for descriptions of the current sequence of first, second and third year seminars);
2. Coordinating the field education component of the M.Div. Program, which includes identifying appropriate field education sites for students enrolled in the M.Div. Program, assisting those students in selecting a site placement, evaluating their progress, and collaborating with site supervisors;
3. Organizing the January Intersession for first-year M.Div. students;
4. Working with the Director of Spiritual Formation in coordinating spiritual direction and group faith-sharing and discernment opportunities for M.Div. students;
5. Leading regularly scheduled training sessions for M.Div. students covering topics related to pastoral ministry;
6. Participating in institutional governance activities associated with this position (e.g., Academic Council, faculty meetings, departmental meetings, etc.).
The successful applicant will be appointed as a Lecturer with a renewable term. The initial appointment is for three years, with the possibility of renewal for additional terms of three and then six years. After review, this position carries the eventual possibility of promotion to the rank of Senior Lecturer, with additional benefits. JST offers competitive pay and benefits.
Please note that SCU does not sponsor any visa applications for this position. The successful candidate must be able to provide evidence of identity and legal authorization to work in the United States.
Applications should be received by February 10, 2013 and include: a letter of application which expresses the goals and the qualifications of the candidate; a professional curriculum vitae; and the names of at least three persons who agree to serve as recommenders/referees and who can assess the candidate’s professional and personal qualifications.
Please contact and send all materials (electronically preferred) to:
Lisa Maglio, Senior Administrative Assistant to the Dean
Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University
1735 LeRoy Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94709
 549 5042