Harvard Catholic Center
EV (Earthen Vessels, Inc.) is a faith-based organization in the Catholic social justice tradition that creates a community of support to empower youth from Boston's inner city with the vision and skills to succeed in school and realize their potential.
EVcorps student volunteers from Harvard, Boston College, and Tufts provide multi-year, one-on-one afterschool tutoring and mentoring, serving for an average of 24 months. EV supports its EVcorps student volunteers and their EVkid matches with professional family and school advocacy, building a strong community of support. We also offer a summer camp experience at our 9-acre camp in Vermont.
Over the last six years, our EVkid high school seniors have had a college matriculation rate of 100%. Our EVcorps volunteers also graduate to become life-long agents of positive social change. For more information, visit www.evkids.org.
This is a school-year leadership team position, to be filled by August 2014 for the start of SY14-15. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The Tutor Director/Chaplain will work closely with the Executive Director and the Program Director, and is responsible for EVcorps volunteer recruitment, training, and support. Weekly tasks will include meeting with our EVcorps student leadership team, attending Afterschool, and directing spiritual development for our EVcorp volunteers to help sustain their academic mentoring work with their EVkid matches.
Special projects will include participating in our fall leadership retreat and leading our EVcorps winter retreat, participating in periodic Saturday training, mentoring, and community events, and establishing an EV presence at Tufts - our newest campus partner. In the summer, there is also an opportunity to help staff EV Camp in Vermont.
- Join the Harvard Catholic Center (HCC) Chaplaincy as the EV Chaplain and partner with the Harvard EVcorps student leadership team at the HCC to implement effective volunteer recruitment, offer regular avenues for individual and group reflection, and cultivate student leaders;
- Partner with Boston College's Chaplaincy and the 4Boston student organization to support their volunteer recruitment, individual and group reflection, and student leader development; and
- Develop partners at Tufts University and other campuses to support volunteer recruitment, individual and group reflection, and student leader development.
- Help interview and select our EVcorps volunteers and help lead trainings;
- Attend Afterschool regularly to engage volunteers on site;
- Work closely with EVcorps student leaders to plan community, fundraising, and mentoring events, such as our campus Mass & Dinners, annual Gala, and bi-annual campus Tutor-Tutee Days; and
- Participate in program evaluation and reporting.
- Master’s Degree in ministry preferred;
- 5+ years experience in campus ministry, education, mentoring/tutoring, and/or organizational leadership;
- Professional experience working with diverse populations including: low income and ethnically diverse clients,school-age children, university students, parents, educators, and campus ministers;
- Comfort navigating multiple work sites and demands in a flexible and professional environment;
- Experience in project and event management;
- Excellent written and computer skills, including using MS Office and Excel tools.
- Understanding of and commitment to faith-based social justice work, with a passion for the mission and core values of EV;
- Ability to work collaboratively with an energized, committed, and diverse team, and relate to diverse populations of youth, young adults, families, youth ministers, and educators;
- Persuasive and passionate communication skills with strong interpersonal social skills;
- Detail-oriented and able to be creative and self-supervising in maintaining a schedule that will vary week-to-week;
- Access to a reliable vehicle; and
- Bilingual and/or cultural diversity a plus.
Salary commensurate with experience; health care plan; generous vacation; IRA.
Submit cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.