Beth Isreal Deaconess Medical Center
Department Description: Per Diem Interfaith Chaplain to provide spiritual care to patients/families and staff.
Independent; self directed. Must be able to attend to multiple requests on both campuses.
Good oral and written communication skills; documents in on-line medical record.
Job Location: Boston, MA
Req ID: 7527BR
Job Summary: Screening, spiritual assessment and follow-up for patients and families as appropriate. Collaborates with social workers, physicians, nurses and other health care professionals to provide pastoral care for any patient who desires it, regardless of denomination, faith tradition or lack of it.
- Provides chaplaincy services to patients and families that address personal, spiritual, emotional, psychosocial issues that patient or family may wish to discuss.
- Visit all patients who request chaplaincy services or are referred by social worker, nurse, patient, family in distress. Work closely with multidisciplinary teams as appropriated.
- Provides timely and appropriate documentation in patient's medical record. Provides consultation and education to team on patient-family management as appropriate.
- Presents and/or discusses clinical/pastoral work in formal and informal settings and seminars. May be selected by the director to present clinical & spiritual material and theory at teaching conferences and seminars.
- Master's degree required in Divinity Studies or related degree.
- Certificate 1 preferred: Assoc. of Clinical Pastoral Ed
- 0-1 years related work experience required.
- Completion of a minimum of 4 units of Clinical Pastoral Education at an accredited site.
- If certification pending, will work under the direction of a clinical pastoral education supervisor.
- Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
- Chaplain certification by a nationally recognized certifying organization (APC ,NACC, NAJC) or certification eligible.
- Previous experience in a Level I hospital.
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Written Communications: Ability to summarize and communicate in English moderately complex information in varied written formats to internal and external customers.
- Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and communicate complex verbal information in English to medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
- Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate in-depth knowledge of concepts, practices and policies with the ability to use them in complex varied situations.
- Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
- Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service and staff training to meet customer service standards and expectations for the assigned unit(s). Resolves service issues in the assigned unit(s) in a timely and respectful manner.
Age based Competencies:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally