What Makes Us Catholic, Part 2: Leap of Faith, Justice, Loving Beyond Borders, and Growing Spiritually
Featuring videos with Dr. Thomas H. Groome, faculty, Department of Religious Education and Pastoral Ministry
This course is a guided discussion of the second half of Boston College Professor Dr. Thomas H. Groome's critically acclaimed book, What Makes Us Catholic. In each of the four chapters considered, Groome poses a question on which to reflect and suggests a gift for life that can be found in our Catholic identity. For example, "In what will we invest?" discusses taking a leap of faith; and "What are our politics?" examines working for justice for all. Join in a discussion of how to integrate Catholic Christian faith into "real life," weaving together a spirituality to sustain us in the everyday. Besides the written text, video segments produced by Silver Burdett Ginn featuring Dr. Thomas H. Groome will be provided on the site to stimulate discussion. It is not necessary to take Part I to benefit from the material in this course.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic
- "What Makes Us Catholic" video series featuring Dr. Thomas H. Groome produced by Silver Burdett Ginn
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- "Town meeting" forum where participants can meet and socialize
- Bonus video segment featuring Dr. Thomas H. Groome (video I of the series)
- Those who actively participate receive a certificate of active participation for the course.
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Week 1: "In What Will We Invest?" -- Risking The Leap Of Faith
Week 2: "What Are Our Politics?" -- Working For Justice For All
Week 3: "Who Is Our Neighbor?" -- Loving Beyond Borders
Week 4: "What Is Our Heart's Desire?"-- Growing Spiritually For Life
Additional Materials Needed
For this course, participants may wish to purchase the following book from their favorite local or online bookstore. (The videos cover the same material.)
Thomas H. Groome. What Makes Us Catholic: Eight Gifts for Life. HarperSanFrancisco, 2003. ISBN: 0060633999 (paperback) ISBN 0060633980 (hardback – 2002 imprint)
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3- 4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholars: Dr. Thomas H. Groome