What Makes Us Catholic, Part 1: Community, Common Good, Common Heritage, and Sacramental Life
Featuring videos with Dr. Thomas H. Groome, faculty, Boston College School of Theology and Ministry, Department of Religious Education and Pastoral Ministry
This course is a guided discussion of the first half of Boston College Professor Thomas H. Groome's critically acclaimed book, What Makes Us Catholic. In each of the four chapters considered, Groome poses a question for reflection and suggests a gift for life that can be found in our Catholic identity. For example, "What's it all about?" discusses a sacramental view of life; and "Are we made for each other?" examines the meaning of the common good. Join in a discussion of how to integrate Catholic Christian faith into "real life," weaving together a spirituality to sustain us in the everyday. Video segments produced by Silver Burdett Ginn featuring Dr. Thomas H. Groome will be provided on the site to stimulate discussion.
Check the course schedule for future offerings of this course.
This course includes:
- Weekly introductions to each new topic
- "What Makes Us Catholic" video series featuring Dr. Thomas H. Groome produced by Silver Burdett Ginn
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion
- "Town meeting" forum where participants can meet and socialize
- Those who actively participate receive a certificate of active participation for the course.
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password protected web site.
- Each participant belongs to a small community for conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator.
- Site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course.
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available.
- Technical assistance is easy to contact and prompt in returning a message.
Week 1: "Who Do We Think We Are?" -- Living as Graceful People
Week 2: "What's It All About?" -- Living a Sacramental View
Week 3: "Are We Made for Each Other?" -- Getting Together for Good
Week 4: "What Time Do We Have?" -- Mining the Treasury of Scripture and Tradition
Additional Materials Needed
For this course, participants may wish to purchase the following book from their favorite local or online bookstore (the videos cover the same material):
Thomas H. Groome. What Makes Us Catholic: Eight Gifts for Life. Harper San Francisco, 2003. ISBN: 0060633999 (paperback) ISBN 0060633980 (hardback – 2002 imprint)
A participant can expect to spend an average of 3-4 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholar: Dr. Thomas H. Groome