The Creed: What We Believe
Featuring video with Father Michael J. Himes from the Boston College "Adventures of Faith" series
Using the Apostles Creed as its outline but referring also to the Nicene Creed and to Scripture, we explore both what it means to believe as well as what is believed so that we may live our faith more richly every day.
July 31 - August 28
(Site opens July 24 and closes September 3)
***Registration closes July 26 or when filled to capacity
This course includes:
- Weekly video presentation by Rev. Michael J. Himes, addressing selected articles of the Creed;
- New feature! Text transcripts of each featured video;
- Study aide written by Dr. Barbara Radtke that guides participants through the videos and the assigned readings from Thomas P. Rausch's book;
- Bonus video on the final articles of the Creed;
- Weekly questions for reflection and discussion;
- Resource page of Internet links and a bibliography for further reading;
- "Town Meeting" forum where participants can meet and socialize;
- Those who actively participate (three substantive posts per week) receive a Certificate of Active Participation for the course.
All C21 Online courses and workshops include these features:
- Participants have access 24 hours/7 days a week to the course's password-protected web site;
- Each participant belongs to a small Community for Conversation and faith sharing guided by a facilitator;
- Site is open to participants at least one week before and one week after the course;
- An orientation in how to navigate the web site is always available;
- Technical assistance is easy to contact, and prompt in returning a message.
Week 1: What is a creed?: I/We believe. . . Amen
Week 2: . . . in one God
Week 3:. . . in Jesus Christ
Week 4:. . . in the Holy Spirit, in the Church
Additional Materials Needed
You will want to have a copy of Thomas P. Rausch's
I Believe in God: A Reflection on the Apostles' Creed (Liturgical Press, 2008). ISBN: 978-0814652602
A participant can expect to spend an average of approximately 4-5 hours each week. This commitment includes both the assigned reading and interaction online.
Content Scholars: Father Michael J. Himes (video) and Dr. Barbara Radtke (study guides)
The reading has given me a desire to go deeper into the mysteries of my faith, the video has opened a whole new love and devotion for the Creed, and the postings of other participants have affirmed my own faith and belief.
I enjoyed each of the videos with Fr. Himes. He is a very inspirational speaker with an extremely effective way of delivering his message - all with tremendous passion.